SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
debo_2006

Laptop freezing

debo_2006
13 years ago

My 4-year-old Dell laptop has been freezing all day. Vista Home Service Pack 1, Memory 3.0; 1.73 Ghz, 32 bit. I am using Chome as my browser thought it does the same thing in IE. When it does, it does one of two things:

1. It just freezes where I can't close anything. All I can do is move the arrow w/ the mouse on the screen, but that serves no purpose. C-A-D doesn't even do anything except give me a blank screen with the arrow on it. I can't close anything or log off. I have to reboot buy turning on the computer.

2. The spinning thing just keeps spinning and won't allow me to close a page or anything. Again, I have to reboot - same as before.

So far, I had to turn it off 6 times b/c it continues to freeze. Three times, when I turned it on again it ran Windows Chkdsk automatically but then the issue would happen again. I have defrag on auto so that's up to date, I ran Windows Defender, Norton's AntiVirus is fine - hasn't failed me in 8 years. I keep my cache and everything cleaned up.

This just started today. I haven't downloaded anything new or been on unusual website. And, I don't have much open when the freezing happens. One minute it's working fine, the next, it freezes.

I have Malware and Super AntiSpyware loaded (old version), but don't run them run since my Nortons does it all.

Any ideas what's causing this problem? It's driving me crazy and I need this computer for business.

Thanks in advance.

Comments (8)