SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chas045

Using online TV. Is it useful?

chas045
11 years ago

I just saw another post on this subject, but it diverted from the general question, so I am asking a more specific set of questions. I have Dish Network, but it is costing approx $95/month. I would like to save a pile of cash if I could. I mostly watch network TV which I can mostly get over the air anyway (in HD besides) although I would like to get a couple cable networks like MSNBC and whatever channel Mad Men was on, that I have forgotten since DISH dropped it.

Unfortunately, the wife watches a ton of cable stuff like Ghost Hunters and anything else with Ghost; and Ice Road Truckers etc. and we got to keep her happy.

The other post mentioned Watch-TV, and I see that it had all seasons of Ghost Hunters and lots of other stuff. When I started to check on a specific show, I was directed to download some utility programs. I stopped because I wasn't sure what I was getting into. Also, it appeared that watching free shows might be a teaser to a limited quantity of programs, perhaps from multiple sites even, perhaps not.

So: does anyone know that these utility programs are safe?, are they multiple sites with multiple free intros with charges for each site after a period? anything else I am missing? Almost a year ago I signed up for Netflix (and later cancelled), but we didn't really get the hang of it even though we have a wifi internet to TV Sony Network Media Player. It did allow us to see the netflix stuff on the tv, but at the time, most of the wife's shows weren't available except via dvd and they doubled up the price. The Sony player was ready to run Hulu (which doesn't seem to have Ghost Hunters either!) etc too. If I could bail out on most or all of Dish, I suppose we could save money even if we subscribed to two or three sites. Anyone tried doing this?

Comments (27)