SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
leahcate

Wrapping My Mind Around Prices...Yikes!

leahcate
12 years ago

Yes, I did the kitchen, but only one faucet set and it paled next to the sub zero $$, etc.. Also, I've forgotten it ....like childbirth:>)

So now we're on to the mbr and powder room and OMG! $800.00+ for two faucets? And that's kinda mid priced it seems. I suppose it makes sense to get solid brass. Add the claw foot tub and shower fixtures and we're talkin' real money here...for 'turner-on-ers' and such! But I suppose most of you have already had that sticker shock. I've read here that it can be cost saving to order from online discounter. I think I'm just looking for reassurance that these prices are standard. It just seems there's no middle ground( oh! except the Newport Brass at $800 IS mid price), and the fixtures at HD, et al aren't worth having. Feels like there is Neiman Marcus and then Target...no Macy's. I suppose the $800 faucets are Macys. Sigh.

Comments (24)

• EngineerChic
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

One alternative is Craigslist and a ReStore shop, if you have one nearby!

• Billl
    12 years ago

"I think I'm just looking for reassurance that these prices are standard"

No, it isn't "standard" to pay $400 for a faucet. Standard are the brands and prices you see at HD. If you have the money and desire to buy higher end fixtures, more power too you, but you don't have to look down on the ones average people use.

BTW - if you can't find a faucet priced less than $400 but more than $75, then you really aren't looking very hard. Any of the online sites will have a huge selection at a variety of price points.

• Related Discussions

My First Winter - Bubble Wrap, heat...?

Q

Comments (51)
    Ah, I understand. Your GH is also a sort of conservatory, so appearance and the ability to see out of it is also a consideration. But if it's in full sun, you may need to add some shade plantings in your garden, perhaps some that would add an asthetic value along with shade. If you have the space to fit them, you might also benefit by a pair of outdoor (wet location rated) ceiling fans, to mount under the roof vents. The pair in my GH operate with very little electricity, are silent and do a great job of keeping the air moving. Not very expensive either; less than $100.00 each at the local home center. (Hunter brand) BTW: Operating 2 ceiling fans, each turning in an opposite direction really DOES create a circular pattern of air movement, front to back, top to bottom.
    ...See More

Decluttering...Have I Lost My Mind?

Q

Comments (30)
    About 4 years ago, we remodeled our house because we needed more space for us and our three kids. We moved into a 2 bedroom townhouse for over 7 months and the whole experience ended up being very liberating. I worked on a principle of thirds: one third of the stuff we needed went with us to the townhouse, one third was packed away in a POD, and the remaining third was either sold, donated, or given away. Then when we moved back, suddenly our house felt so spacious and empty even though we only added about 500 additional square feet. As I went through the boxes in the POD, so much of the stuff we'd collected no longer appealed to me and to this day they remain packed--most were nic-nacs given to us as gifts from family. I know I'll never put them up, at the same time it doesn't feel quite right to just give it to charity. I've thought several times about tring to resell on eBay as I don't think Craigslist is a good place to sell off collections, though I've found it a great place to resell furniture, electronics, and kid stuff. Nowadays, I'd say most of the clutter comes from the kids. We have a new Guitar Hero music set cluttering up my family room. Sigh.... and I just got it arranged the way I wanted it.... but they do enjoy it.
    ...See More

Wrap Around Cabinets?

Q

Comments (7)
    It sure must be nice to have such talented friends jejvtr. It looks like he/she gave you a lot of useful storage space and it's really beautiful too. I almost thought about doing one section like your closed doors for my desk. That way I can just shove it all in there an close the doors before company comes. I wouldn't mind having some shelves for cookbooks or the homeschool books that end up in the kitchen.
    ...See More

New Build - Trying to wrap my brain around the finances

Q

Comments (19)
    If you're comparing the price of resale homes in your area with the cost of new construction, you're making an "apples-to-oranges" comparison. It shouldn't be a major revelation that it costs more to build new than it does to buy resale product. In our area, there are two types of appraisals: a cost-to-construct appraisal and an appraisal based on "market-comparable sales." In my experience, cost-to-construct appraisals are typically within 1-2% of the contract price to build the home. By contrast, an appraisal based on "market comparable sales" can be as much as 20% lower. There are a couple of reasons for the difference: 1.) contract prices to construct new custom homes are generally not recorded, so appraisers don't have access to relevant price data, and 2.) Resale homes are viewed by appraisers as pretty equivalent to new custom homes (appraisers tend to dumb everything down to no. of bedrooms, no. of bathrooms and total sq. ft. of conditioned living area. Underwriters like it that way, too,) and 3.) the sale prices of "distressed" sales are included in the set of "market comparables." P.S. Cost-per-square foot is a terrible metric because it is affected by so many variables. It is, however, a simple metric and the math is easy enough for Realtors and Appraisers to do so it is commonly used. Be careful.
    ...See More
  • reel_life
    12 years ago

I know what you mean! The prices just keep adding up. Make sure you factor in all of your costs before making any purchases. My labor costs were what really threw my budget. I bought most things online and saved a lot of money at websites like luxuryhomeoutlet.com, floorlife.com, koreltilestore.com and overstock.com

I have found it really helpful to keep an Excel spreadsheet with all my planned purchases, material (i.e. mortar, grout--and it goes on and on) and labor costs. The spreadsheet really lets you know what you are getting into before you purchase. You can list model numbers and purchase locations so you don't forget where you found the best deal. Then when I made a purchase, I put the item price in bold. Its really kept me organized and serious about my budget.

• User
    12 years ago

We just had to replace the faucets in our newer master bathroom. The ones we bought originally 2 years ago were junk. The interiors were all brass, worked fine but the satin nickel finish has a plastic top coat that peels off. It was a horrible mess.

Of course, they were a "bargain" from Costco, manufactured under the Costco brand name Water Ridge by Danze. And, while researching the issue, I discovered that the Danze brand faucets with the same finish also have the same problem. The only positive out of it is that Costco will still allow us to return them which is why I was willing to try them originally.

If you read through all the reviews though, you will also find that price doesn't necessarily dictate quality. There are problems with virtually all brands and as with most product, styling is a big driver in regards to price as well. You can find some well made faucets that are on a more affordable level, their styling just may not be what catches your eye.

Case in point is what we ended up going with which is the Portsmouth by American Standard. They are all brass w/a satin nickel finish and cost 235.00 each @ Faucetdepot.com. No tax or shipping costs helped the pocketbook too. I know some people say the AS brand is junk as well, but the company has been around for years and their toilets have worked great for us, there's no plastic inside and the the user reviews I found on line were positive. The style wouldn't have been my first choice but personally, I refuse to pay 400.00 for a faucet just because it's a little bit prettier or has a name I can't pronounce.

If saving some $$ is important for your budget, I would just encourage you to do some research.

• bill_g_web
    12 years ago

Feeling your pain. I bought a Grohe vanity top mounted faucet for a reasonable $200 but once installed, my wife vetoed it. Went back online for a Kohler wall mounted faucet for $420, incl. tax & shipping. Oh, and add another $50 for the pop-up drain. Good thing I can do the installation myself and also that I've not yet bought a vanity top and just have a mock-up top made of melamine.

• leahcate
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Good grief, billl! So sorry you got that impression...not the case. Reel, spreadsheet is a "reelly" (groan) good idea:>)
    lukki: " You can find some well made faucets that are on a more affordable level, their styling just may not be what catches your eye." Aha! there is the problem. I am, unfortunately, stuck on having an aged brass finish ( and in a particular style) which is not the height of popularity these days, so fewer choices. I wish I wanted the nickel/chrome finish. Hopefully, I can save money in other areas I am NOT so picky about...like the toilet. We've had an AS for over 15 years and it's a real work horse. I am a Goodwill, craigslist, etc. shopper, and not being able to find 'deals' is hard on this bargain shopper. I'm nervous about going online for plumbing needs, but will research more on here for recommended places. Yep, lukki, think you nailed it: cannot be so particular about style when trying to save. I'll just need to pick and choose where to put the larger dollars. Thanks everyone.

• nycbluedevil
    12 years ago

Shopping online is the way to go. Lots of people like faucetdirect. I almost used them but ended up going with plumbtile instead. Prices are so much better, free shipping and no tax.

The people who work at these sites are really knowledgeable. At plumbtile, I was working with someone over the phone who was able to go check out on her showroom floor various products I asked about. So it was the best of both worlds--getting the best prices and the best selection. There was virtually no brand that I couldn't get. I used Harrington Brass, Toto, Hansgrohe, Smedbo. Everything arrived great. One Toto sink arrived cracked. I took a picture, emailed it to plumbtile and a new sink was shipped the next day.

• golfschnell
    12 years ago

shop online and look for closeouts; just finished a master bath and paid $470 delivered for a brand new Brizo tub faucet set with handshower that was selling for $1500 just last year. $410 for an entire Moen shower set up including valves ($1600 value last year) - $140 bucks for 2 Pfister Portola sink faucets and drains that are solid brass with nickel finish and very nice indeed - Toto Ames toilet (cyclonic rinse, sanigloss, ADA height with seat)$375 delivered from Homeclick (manager's special). You can have great quality at decent prices if you have the time to put into the research.

• gr8daygw
    12 years ago

I was also shocked at the prices of faucets. I spent way more than I ever thought I would have to and that was even with not going way out there. I have a free standing shower and a pedestal tub that needed a floor mounted faucet that hangs up like a telephone. Talk about expensive! The thing is, you think you can afford it and then they start adding on rough in parts, covers for the plumbing drain, etc. YIKES!!! We were talking $2000 just for the tub so I had to regroup. I wanted a more modern faucet but they were just out of reach.

In the end I compromised and made a split decision -went with Kohler (splurge) for the shower and then found a cheaper version of a near matching faucet for the vanities from Signature Hardware dot com. They have lots of different faucets and finish colors to choose from. I have been to their storefront. They are a real place with real people who are very nice. We were missing a washer for the escutcheon and they mailed it right away. Our issue was small though but I was impressed with the nice people that worked there. I'm sure all their stuff is knock off import but so much of the expensive stuff is made out of country too that after awhile I just threw up my hands and went with what I could afford for the vanities and they are rather pretty and doing ok so far!!! I try to buy American whenever I can though. It's kind of hard to tell to be honest, as the parts can be made in China but then assembled here. Our new normal...good luck! I feel your pain!!!

• User
    12 years ago

Well, you know what they say, function before form. Sometimes it's a killer but brass and gold are making a comeback so I suspect the more affordable lines will be carrying them soon (if you can hold out for a bit).

Don't worry too much about buying on line many of these companies know much more about the product and will treat you better than the locals stores will; I was apprehensive too but ended up being pleasantly surprised. I've purchased from both Faucetdirect and Faucetdepot. Each site offered excellent service and quick delivery. Faucetdirect is picky about what they will send with free shipping but Faucetdepot has free shipping on everything. To me, that's a must (their prices were better too). Good Lukk!

• eoz3106
    12 years ago

We had sticker shock as well. We ending up going through build.com and were completely impressed. If you call they will give you a better price, we had an average of 10-12 % off the website price plus free shipping. I even made a mistake on the order and they accepted the return with no restocking fee and gave me a prepaid return label!

Check out home depot's clearance section on their website. We found some Kohler items on clearance there.

• User
    12 years ago

Gold and brass are making a big comeback. If you are careful about which valve manufacturer you choose, you could save money by purchasing mainstream chrome "for now" and then upgrade as budget and available finishes allow.

Of course, I think there are a few makers that do a gold toned finish in a lot of their lines now. Kohler's French Gold is particularly nice looking. It's gold without being too shiny or yellow or too brown antiquey.

• 1929Spanish
    12 years ago

I just got a brand new stainless steel Newport Brass Chesterfield kitchen faucet with sprayer on Ebay for $184. Newport Brass lists retail at over $1,100!

It takes work and time, but you can find nice things at a reasonable cost.

• pharaoh
    12 years ago

I usually start shopping on CL and ebay about 6 months ahead of a remodel. You can get excellent deals if you look around. I recommend hansgrohe , grohe fixtures. You can shop for lights, fixtures, etc and stock up before the remodel begins.

• leahcate
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Wow! I am feeling much braver having heard about all of your good experiences with online buys. It's been years since I dipped my toes into the waters of ebay. Heard it had changed and lots of bad sellers were out there, but know many of the GW-ers do use it. So good to get the recommendations of plumbtile, et al.
    You are all THE BEST! Thank you!

• miamirob
    12 years ago

leahcate,

I am posting to encourage you to try to buy local rather than order online.

I am about to start construction in my condo to renovate (completely gut) my kitchen, master bath and a guest bath. As with past projects, when I started the planning process, I made a conscious decision to support local businesses and not buy over the Internet. I have always found that I have been able to buy almost everything locally at prices that are usually the same and often less, than I would pay online. Thus far, with this project, the only exception being towel bars. The local supplier's best pricing is still about ten percent higher than what I can find online, but I paid the additional small cost. I told the supplier that I wanted to support him rather than someone who lived far away. He REALLY appreciated it and I think that prices for other products I am buying from his plumbing supply store are lower as a result.

I suggest you ask your plumber to see what pricing he can get for you. Tell your plumber the "look" you are trying to achieve and see what he suggests. Plumbers often have more knowledge that you would think about fixture options because they install so much stuff over the years. Or just call the plumber and give the plumber the manufacturers\model numbers of the pieces you are trying to order and tell him that you would like to give him the business. If not your plumber, go to a plumbing supply store. If you have found pricing online, bring prints of the web pages with you. Show them the prices. But also remember that there is great value to be able to talk with and get advice from a person face-to-face. Unless you are an expert in plumbing fixtures, your plumber or the plumbing supply store is going to be able to provide valuable help.

I in no way intend to criticize anyone for buying online. But, for me, ordering through local stores\professionals is important. I have a number of friends who have had their businesses severely impacted or close because people make ordering decisions based on seeing a price online without giving a local supplier the opportunity to match it and without considering the customer service and expertise that a local supplier can provide.

People that work at local suppliers pay mortgages in your city, shop at all those stores you pass on your way home and are a part of the fabric of your daily life. Please think about that before you enter your credit card number and send money to some distance business to save a few dollars. At a minimum, give local businesses a chance. Local experience and expertise might save you a lot of money.

When construction starts, I will be posting a sign in my condo that reads, "Materials for this project have been purchased locally from the following vendors:" Then I will list the vendors. I have done this when I did work in the past. You would be AMAZED how much the Trades appreciate your buying local. And if there is a problem with one of the fixtures, chances are the plumber will know someone at the plumbing supply store where you (or he) purchased the fixture and, using that relationship, the "fix" will happen much faster that you having to call an 800 number in another far away place.

Thanks for listening. As you can tell, I feel very strongly about ordering locally. :)

Respectfully,
    Rob

• leahcate
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Rob,
    I would first like to compliment you on your post reply: well thought out, informed, and expressed in a non-judgmental and respectful tone. Yea! I echo your sentiments and hope to order from locals....if feasible financially.
    The bath has been on the back burner due to Christmas. Prior to the holidays I did visit three local specialty stores.
    From them I learned there is no longer a discount to 'The Trade': retail cost may be listed, but the contractor/designer price is now for everyone.
    At my first stop the rep was helpful, but the promised- in- 24 hr. e-mail order sheet came after a week, and only after I prodded him. When it came it lacked any info re. manufactures numbers or collection names. I couldn't, remember that info, so no way to make any comps. He promises he will soon 'e' me with that info...we'll see.
    The rep at the second place was so bored and disinterested I finally asked him if I'd caught him at a bad time. Five minutes after I'd walked in the door he was attempting to shoo me out with..."maybe you should take some brochures home and look online first." This, after I had communicated that I was focused and knew the fixtures styles and colors I needed.
    The third rep was all one would want. He did say upfront that their prices would be higher than most due to their incomparable service. Bottom line: I will order locally if the price difference isn't too great. I hope that I can, for selfish as well as altruistic reasons. I'll be back to let you know :>)

• miamirob
    12 years ago

leahcate,

The first two vendors don't deserve your business. I would not order from them either.

You wrote, "Bottom line: I will order locally if the price difference isn't too great." I totally agree with that line of thinking. If local businesses are unable or unwilling to provide good pricing combined with great customer service, they are not going to make it long term.

Rob

• 1929Spanish
    12 years ago

I agree with Rob as much as I can. I live in a community that has some solid local business and like to shop locally as much as possible.

Much of the stuff I buy online is vintage or resale. I purchased a brand new Modern Aire hood for $475 (original price: around $1,800) that someone installed and didn't like. With that price difference, I have to go with the online solution.

I manage my costs by purchasing a lot this way....if I could buy brand new at local shops, I'd love to. But I know much of the stuff I purchase as resale was originally purchased locally....it's the best I can do. I can tell this by the original stickers on product.

So there's "buy local" and there is "reuse, recycle". There is value in both.

• helenab
    12 years ago

I also try to buy locally as much as possible. One great example was with a recent bathroom sink purchase-- I didn't know what size sink would work best for a given model. A local plumbing supply store had both sizes in stock and let me bring them home to check the sizes. I returned the sink I did not want the next day -- no restocking fee or other costs. I could not have done that easily if I had ordered online. Plus, the prices were competitive. I also felt more comfortable buying lights from a local vendor -- in case I wanted to make any changes, they were flexible.

• User
    12 years ago

Kohler has A LOT of faucets in the $200- $400 price range.

Hansgrohe also has many in the $400 +/- range.

Both are top quality and stylish.

• Lynne Reno
    12 years ago

we got all Hansgrohe fixtures for our bathroom, and got a great discount from a local plumbing place, but it was still pricy, however I didn't order vanity faucets from them, I ran across discontinued Hansgrohe faucets at Dealyard.com for $60 each minus a 10% off coupon,free shipping and no tax. They are so close in style to the rest of our Hansgrohe fixtures that I really doubt anyone would notice and they carry the full Hansgrohe warranty

Here is a link that might be useful: discontinued Hansgrohe fixtures

• catbuilder
    12 years ago

Let me ask all you people who buy online: Do you actually touch and feel the products before buying them? If so, where do you go to do that? (Or is it a "virtual" touching and feeling process?) If actually experiencing a product before you buy it is not of any value to you, then by all means buy online from some far-distant retailer. But if you go to all of the local (and local can also mean a 3-hour drive away) shops to find and compare your choices, you should buy from those same shops. Even if it costs more. What do you think will happen when they all go out of business because they cannot afford to keep their shops open for people to browse, just to have those people buy elsewhere? Online retailers do not have the same expenses as brick-and-mortar stores, so they don't need to charge as much to make a profit. Of course they are cheaper (or should be, if they're not). But if you are the type of person who likes to compare in person different products, you need to support those businesses that provide that service. Because they won't be here much longer at this rate. And that is very sad.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    12 years ago

While I completely agree with what you're saying, catbuilder, there are plenty of us who don't have the option of seeing anything in a store. Where I live, if HD and Lowes don't carry it (and they don't carry much these days, at least around here), then I'm not going to get to see anything but a picture in an order book anyway, so I might as well go straight to an online order.

I'd rather have a store to visit, and yes I'm willing to pay for the privilege, but there are lots of places where only the lowest common denominator of stuff can be got from the store.