SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ttodd_gw

Decluttering...Have I Lost My Mind?

ttodd
15 years ago

While decorating for Christmas I packed away the things that were in the spots that my Christmas Decor was going in (I never did that before - just moved stuff around). After the holidays I'd planned to put back only what I truly missed or was thinking about. I'd decided that the rest of the stuff would stay packed away.

Now as I've begun to take the Christmas Decor down I just feel different. Liberated or something w/o all of the prior day to day clutter.

To be perfectly honest the only reason I've accumulated so many decorative items was out of boredom before we had children. I blew much of our money while DH worked and I was alone because:

1: I was bored.

and

2: I was going off in so many different decorating directions that I bought entirely too much. I bought a billion little things instead of doing it the right way. How many picture frames does one need anyway?

Okay - I also think that I was trying to fulfill some need since we didn't have much while growing up.

I like the things that I have but I don't feel the need to have so much anymore. I'm also tired of all of the wasted space because I keep things 'Just in case....'.

So here's what I thought I'd do:

Go over every horizontal and vertical surface and pack stuff away. At a later point in time (months from now) I will go back through the boxes and pull out only those things that I'd been thinking about. Everything else will be sold w/ a smile on my face and maybe I'll make a buck or two.

I figure if worse comes to worse and I can't bring myself to sell anything at least it will be decluttered and packed already for putting the house on the market.

So, have I lost my mind?

Comments (30)