SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
maybee_gw

mail box full???

15 years ago

I just got an e-mail from a friend who says he can't send me e-mail because he always gets a notice that my mail box is full...I'm using Outlook Express...would this maybe be a problem with my ISP or his?

Comments (20)

• 15 years ago

I'm sending you an email via GW. If you don't get it though I won't get a mail box full reply...since it is through GW.

If you set it to show addy to members I could mail you via my Hotmail and see if I get the message.

Sue...chemocurl

• 15 years ago

I've got mine set to go to my hotmail account with GW

• Related Discussions

Have exotic star Amaryliss, Salvia Caradonna, etc...

Q

Comments (1)
    Send you email
    ...See More

Have 1 lg box sutffed and ready to mail

Q

Comments (2)
    I have succlent cutting although not a whole lot, I have a little christmas and thanksgiving cactus, hens and chicks, jelly bean scclent, kalanchoe mother of millions and mother of thousands, and a few other things. Since I don't have a whole lot I cold also send seeds and I have some hardy chrysanthem rooted cuttings. Let me know Sharon cash Zone 7
    ...See More

Karyn missing?

Q

Comments (6)
    Karyn that is great new indeed!! I thought about you a few times and said I should not complain if DH lets a few plants die because he did not SEE them lol. At least most others got watered. Compared to what you had said that no one will water yours for a week or so. Good news indeed!!Glad you get to go again :-) Lucy
    ...See More

Window boxes in full-full sun?

Q

Comments (4)
    things like curry plant, most sedums, and sweet potato vines are pretty much immune, as long as you water them- and a window box full of purple sweet potato vine is a glorious site- not to mention that one start will fill a box, and cascade down the sides with very little help (when the main stem is as long as the box, lay it out full length, staple it down, and add a bit of mulch to cover the stem. it will root and branch out from every node, making a monster of a plant) trumpet vine is an interesting container plant- and safer, since it's really invasive if left loose in the dirt. it will climb the brick wall (stop it before it hits the power or phone lines) and you can train it to follow twine tied to the balcony, to the point of making a nice awning. other than that- anything that specifies 'drought tolerant (portculas, nasturtiums) will be fine.
    ...See More
  • 15 years ago

He also may be sending you a file or pictures that havent been resized and are too big

• 15 years ago

I've got mine set to go to my hotmail account with GW

Yes, but it is going thru the GW system. If you don't get it, I will not get any message alert anywhere.

If you chose to show your addy to members, I would click on your page, click on send you an email, and I could then see your addy, copy it into my hotmail, and sent it to you that way. That way, if there was a problem the cyber postmaster would send me a message...like your box is full or undeliverable or something.

If you set it to show to members, it will not appear on the forums for anyone and everyone to see. Only members who are logged in, trying to email you would see it.

Sue

• 15 years ago

what is the size limits allowed by your actual email client, is it through your ISP? some have very small limits and they do fill up very fast. If you get one or 2 large files that are not cleared out and deleted immediately it will over fill your box and not allow more in. having an email client like gmail helps that since they have a huge limit and would not get over full. Check the limits on your actual email client.

• 15 years ago

I have used 0% of 24 MB....how is 24 MB for size?

Anyway, there's nothing there, so that shouldn't be a problem.

• 15 years ago

24 MB is small by today's standards. Do you know if your friend is trying to email you a large attachment?

• 15 years ago

I'm pretty sure he isn't

• 15 years ago

Call your ISP. That happened to me recently and my ISP took care of it by enlarging my mailbox.

HTH

Sue

• 15 years ago

Just wondering if you have a bunch of folders with saved emails in them. If so, they are using up your allowable space too. Check you dont have any in sent folder as well

• 15 years ago

that is very small, I would definitely check on getting some more space in that email if possible, who is it with?

I have about 5 gig of space on most of mine, hotmail is a bit less than that. My Gmail is currently at 7257 MB or over 7 gig.

It could be that someone tried to send you a large file that never successfully went through but is somehow stuck and blocking your inbox. Does any mail come into your inbox daily? Are other people getting that message or can their mail to you get in? Need to determine if this is just one person having the problem.

• 15 years ago

The part that is confusing me is that you say you've used 0% of the 24 MB. I assume you're getting that from something the ISP is reporting to you. If so, most of the ideas I have wouldn't help.

Are you getting emails from other people? Is it just the one friend who can't send you anything?

• 15 years ago

genes...I do have some e-mail saved in folders...where else could I put them? I just slide them over into a folder to the left of my Outlook Express

When I go to my webmail for my ISP, there is a little scale to the left that shows how much space I have and how much I've used.

ravencajun...I have a local carrier and my high speed comes from local water towers

bp..yes, I seem to be getting e-mail from others and I've contacted some to see if they have ever gotten the mailbox full message and they haven't. But..my son tried to send me a large file a couple of days ago and it wouldn't go through...it didn't block anything..just wouldn't go.

• 15 years ago

Do you have Outlook set to delete files on the server after downloading? If not, when you move them to folders, they still use space. In order to free the space, you need to archive the folders. Archiving makes a copy of the mail locally, but removes it from the server.

How large was the file your son tried to send you?

You said earlier that your friend wasn't trying to send an attachment, but I wonder if he's sending an email with embedded pictures, videos etc. He may not consider those to be attachments, but they would be sent as attachments.

• 15 years ago

I use Outlook Express and not Outlook. My son was sending music..don't know what the size was for sure. How do I archive e-mail that I want to save and refer back to later?

• 15 years ago

Very likely, your mailbox is full - the mailbox at your ISP's mail server, that is.

After you have connected to the internet, log into your mail at the ISP (not the files on your own computer).

(ISP: Internet Service Provider)

Check out the inbox, saved, trash, etc. If you see a many old mail files, then you have found the problem. You can manually delete any file(s) you wish. Be aware that many mail servers 'delete' files only from the TRASH box/folder. When you delete files from other folders, these are moved to the trash folder. This is a general observation - your email files at your ISP may behave diferently depending on features and settings.

In your email utiltiy on your computer, open the settings panel and check how you have the file handling set. You may want to set you email utility to 'erase files after downloading', i.e., erase the files on the ISP's mail server after these have been copied to your computer. If you do not have this feature turned on, then old files will stay on the ISP's mail server until your alloted space is filled. If you choose not to set this feature, then you should log into the mail server periodically, and clean out old files.

If you are a little fearful about changing email settings, then call the help desk of your ISP. Attempting to correspond by email will be fruitless if your mailbox (at the ISP) is full.

• 15 years ago

I check with my ISP every day because they seem to put things into quarantine that shouldn't be there. I make sure it is completely clean there a couple of times a day...nothing there. And it says I've used 0% of my space.

I have now asked for more space, but I don't hold out much hope of getting it.

I correspond with them by e-mail and get answers back...that is how I knew how to check how much space I have and how much I have used.

I don't find an option in my Outlook Express to "erase files after downloading" But..hey, I can't see that anything is there

• 15 years ago

Maybee, check in OE (assuming version 6) under Tools and Accounts. Double click the account in the Mail Tab that you are having issues with...this opens Properties. Look on the Advanced Tab for Leave a Copy of Messages on the Server (near the bottom) and de-select it. If this happened since your son tried to send the large email, that email could be stuck, even though he canceled it. Did you say others can still send you mail?

Pam

• 15 years ago

He couldn't send it because he got that message...I'll check that setting.

Below is the answer I got from my server...are they blowing smoke? :o)

Increasing the size really isn't a good option, 99% of email services in the world allow less than 5mb for a single email. We allow 10mb, double the industry standard. The problem with large emails is that people send them out, they end up bouncing and then mail systems all over the world get hampered by emails bouncing back and forth thru them.

Ask your sender to either zip the attachment to make it smaller, or if it's multiple attachments to have him break them up over several emails.

If you need 1 single compressed attachment that is still larger than 10mb, let me know and I will show you other methods of sending files this large.
    Anything in Outlook Express does not count against your quota, Quarantine does not either.
    The only things that would count against you are if you log into Webmail, anything in Inbox and Sent Mail and any folders you created in Webmail count against it. You said earlier tho that you were at 0%, so I would assume that your webmail is empty and therefore you have nothing to worry about there.
    I will increase your quota to 50mb, but I guarantee that other people your friend communicates with are going to have the same troubles and they will end up having to learn to shrink their emails down like everyone else in the world.

• 15 years ago

10MB for a single attachment is really large! They are not blowing smoke. It will likely take a long time for a 10MB attachment to download into your mail. I think the advice you are getting from the ISP is valid.