SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
goldgirl_gw

SOS - how to prevent corrupt Word docs?

goldgirl
15 years ago

Hi All - was sent over here from the Cooking Forum.

I've used Word for years but only at a very basic level and am suddenly having problems with corrupt docs. I recently started law school at night and almost lost my mind last night when I couldn't open my class outline. I found a utility that retrieved the content (lost the formatting) but am trying to learn how to prevent it from happening in the future.

For school, I use a laptop running Vista and Office Home and Student 2007. I keep all files on a flash drive and backups in a variety of other places. I save (generally using Control-Save) all Word docs in the "old" 2003 format because I sometimes work on them on my home desktop (larger monitor and better keyboard) running XP and Office 2003. Also, I have to turn in short papers for one class and the prof wants them in the old format.

My outline is simple, using tabs and basic formatting like bold, bulleted lists, etc. I did have a small table in this particular outline that blew up.

Is the problem switching between systems or is there something else I'm doing wrong?

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Sue

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths