SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
momofmost

Use Existing Downdraft Venting for Electric Range?

momofmost
12 years ago

We are in the final stages of planning for a kitchen remodel. Before we order cabinets, however, I need to find out if we can replace an existing JennAir cooktop (electric) with an electric slide-in range. Our kitchen designer at Lowe's says we should be able to use the existing ductwork and just "tie-in" the new fan/blower in a wall-mounted range hood. Does this seem possible?

Just a few years ago we replaced our 1989 wall oven/microwave combo with a similar unit. Since we don't have the traditional double oven wall unit, we would gain an oven with the electric range.

My concern is that if we go with the range scenario, we may run into problems during installation of the range hood---thereby increasing our overall labor cost. Has anyone had a similar experience? I'm tempted to stick with a downdraft cooktop, but the JennAir appliances don't seem to have good reviews on this forum.

The existing downdraft cooktop is vented to the outside. If it is possible to use the ductwork, are there any special requirements as to the type of range and/or hood?

Thanks in advance to all!

Comments (8)