SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pussuskattus_gw

Schluter trim in bathroom - mud bed? Alum or SS?

pussuskattus
13 years ago

Hello all -

We are the stage in the building of our new house that we have to finalize the shower wall materials, and I have selected glass tiles for a couple of the showers. And I really like the look of the Schluter edges (house style is transitional).

Long story short, I have to educate the tile company on the schluter edges. I understand the standard installation instructions (my DH and I have installed tile together before). But I have two questions:

1) The tile company still uses mud beds for the shower walls. If I want a schluter edge (say, Rondec) between the shower walls and the bathroom walls (which are NOT going to be tile, just drywall and paint), the Rondec edge has to be tall enough to accomodate the mud bed and the tile, I would think. Can I have them nail the Rondec on to the wall, then apply the mud bed, then the tile?

2) Anodized aluminum or stainless steel? My fixtures are polished nickel, but I don't care a lot if they do not match the fixtures exactly - just need to be similar. The stainless trim is definitely more expensive, but I would think it would hold up to a lot more abuse (mostly abuse during installation!) than the anodized aluminum. I won't say "money is not an issue", but the price difference between the aluminum and stainless is not a big deal in the cost of the shower! Has anyone used the aluminum in a shower and had it be scratched and ugly before the shower was even finished?

Thanks, all, and I hope you all are having a wonderful holiday season!

Comments (4)