SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
badin_gw

Final inspection ?

badin
16 years ago

I'm not sure where to pose my question, and to be honest I am not even sure just what I need to ask. Our current home was not built for us, unlike our previous home, but was a builder's spec that needed a few finishing touches at the time we made our offer. The builder and his site supervisor promised the moon and delivered too little/too late. Closing was postponed more than once, but I foolishly allowed myself to be bullied into closing (not only by the builder but by my dh as well) before every last thing was done and checked.

I did hire a home inspector, who detailed a list of corrections. While he was checking out the house, the builder's site supervisor argued nearly every point, insisting that the house had already passed inspection by the city and therefore the HI was wrong about certain things not being done according to code. Unfortunately, even our HI missed some things, which we learned about later. Some of them have finally been corrected, but others have not.

We're about 60 days from the end of our one year warranty, and I'm still wasting time week after week trying to get problems fixed. In an effort to determine the answers to a few questions, I went to the city building inspection office and asked to see the file on the house. The clerk has been unable to locate the house plans and the file is otherwise incomplete.

I was given a copy of the city inspector's report, on which it's noted that the house is not complete due to four pages of out of compliance items. The report was issued about a month before the CO. In a different handwriting are notes about some of those items, but each one is checked off as if the issue has been satisfied.

In scanning the list, I was surprised to see one item about which the site super. had argued repeatedly w/ our HI and with me (weeks after the city inspector's report.) There's no doubt that the site supervisor lied to us. The error was finally corrected, but I don't think it was done before the CO was issued. Another item caught my eye because it's something that I've been fighting the builder about for the past 6 or 7 months. When I mentioned it to the dept. clerk, it was suggested that the builder may have put in a temporary fix that was later removed, but I don't think that's likely. There are other issues that I know were not resolved and some about which I am uncertain, but would sure like to know. I have a bad feeling that the "final inspection" was either a drive-by or was done over the phone.

I do not want to sue anyone, and I really don't want to prolong the hassle of getting these matters resolved. I just want honest assurance that everything meets code and is safe both for us and for whoever buys the house when we retire. The city inspector who wrote the initial report is supposed to get back to me. When he does, I'm wondering about asking him to do a follow-up inspection. If he declines, should I offer to pay the usual fee for an inspection? Ask to speak to his boss? Or do I just start photographing all of the deficiencies and copying all of the faxes that we've sent to the builder about completing the work, in order to file a written complaint with the city? I don't feel that I am thinking too clearly about the situation, and would appreciate your advice on how next to proceed. Finally, if we do need to consult a lawyer, what sort of expertise should we seek?

Thanks for your help.

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations