SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mimi72_gw

European DW owners (Asko et al) - Capacity Issues?

mimi72
16 years ago

I am between buying an Asko 3251XLHD and KitchenAid S series dishwasher. I really "want" the Asko, mainly like the water efficiency (4.5 gpl vs 7) and all steel construction. Looking inside the KA, the plastic sprayers etc give me pause. I do know however that there are probably more KA fans on this forum than Asko, and their owners are very pleased with their performance.

My biggest concern about the Asko is the space in it's racks. Both the upper and lower racks are about 1.5" shorter than the KA (and other comparable US models), which translates into quite a bit of space. The Bosch's rack size looked like about the same size as the Asko and I bet the Miele is similar. I also have to say I like the huge silverware basket in the KA compared to the smaller one in the Asko.

So since quite a few forum posters own one of these European brands...can you tell me if the DW ever seems too small? We are a family of 5 and I cook quite a bit and generate quite a few dishes in the process. I'm afraid if I have to run more than 1 load a day (in the Asko) I'd be negating the energy/water savings of the Asko and hence be better off with the KA. Any thoughts? Am I overthinking it? I haven't seen water efficiency mentioned much as a reason to choose one DW over another here...but it's important to me. Until now I've been hand washing, because I was convinced no dishwasher could clean well, based on prior experience. So of course cleaning ability is of paramount importance too. Another bit worth mentioning is that the Asko will run about $400 more than the KA.

Comments (10)