SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
thibeaultstable

Jan. 2007 Current Swap - Finding and Sharing Information.....

ann_t
17 years ago

Use this thread to post some general information about yourself and your family. Such as: The colours in your kitchen and dining areas, favourite Ethnic cuisine, allergies, or religious food restrictions etc....

Most of us enjoy searching threads looking for information on our partners. It is amazing what a search will turn up. The search function has been improved since the last swap and now includes threads from Conversations, Gallery and Exchanges. And don't forget to check some of the other Gardenweb areas. Many of our participants also post to other forums besides the Cooking forum.

Have fun.

Ann

Comments (22)

• Terri_PacNW
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Kitchen is in spicey colors. Mexican Chile is on the wall. Pictures are accessible through My Page.

There are 5 of us. Hubby, me and 3 sons. 1 dog. We like Asian and Mexican mostly. Well it's the food we'll all agree on eating. LOL
    My hubby isn't to adventurous. So it's best to stick with the above.

I love green and white teas. I prefer decaf.

I love TJ's and don't get to get there often.

Gotta jet..I'll be back if I think of anything else.

• diana55
    17 years ago

I have a all White kitchen, with Lime Green accents. My family and I love to eat Italian. I love anything to do with cooking.I love to try new kitchen gagets!!! We eat lots of Garlic,and I love Balsmatic Vinegar. Diana55

• Related Discussions

2007 WEST Tailgate Swap: Sunday May 27, 2007

Q

Comments (47)
    Hiya! Been so busy haven't had time to check this thread. Didn't get to arrange any trades with anyone. Hope I can bring stuff that people would want. I have stuff like: lavender mums, white bleeding heart, sundrops, variegated artemesia, geranium of unknown name, purple flowered lamium, some 2nd year echinacea seedlings and some seedlings I've grown this year. Well, if all goes okay and I have time after my daughter's b-day party will pot some things up, and come along tomorrow. Ciao for now, Trish
    ...See More

UPDATE: 2007 Hosta Secret Swap

Q

Comments (59)
    Kammieann, So sorry you worried your self over what to send.It wouldn't matter if I did have any of the same ones.It's the thought that counts.And the thought of me ever receiving a Blue Mouse Ears Hosta through a secret swap or coming across one never entered my mind.I will cherish it!!I have looked everywhere, and wanted one for so very long I can't even tell you.I am very pleased with everything,But ESPECIALLY with the Mouse Ears. Thanks Again!! Loved the goodies!!! Look forward to doing it again. Margie((Granny57))
    ...See More

New: FOTESS - Jan. Swap: Upcycling into the New Year

Q

Comments (77)
    Great packages arriving here. I just finished three swaps and all received the hand crafted spoon markers and I have received many inquiries as to how they are made. The following is a site where I found some for you guys to see what I am talking about. I love how they added the little plant stamps so will have to find out how they did that. http://paperandplanes.files.wordpress.com/2011/06/dsc07503.jpg I used new spoons I got on sale but have made some for myself from spoons I found at the Goodwill. My husband used a rubber mallet to flatten the spoon. I then purchased a steel stamping letter/number set. I just line these up on the spoon one letter at a time and bang them with a regular hammer about 25 times to assure they indent the spoon. We used a work table my husband has and placed a large garden border brick on that to bang on. When flattening the spoon, places an old towel over it so as not to scratch it up. http://stampingjewelrysupplies.com/images/letter_numbers/il_430xN.157647088.jpg These are very easy to stamp and I enjoy doing it. I plan to make many more for my gardens as these will last forever. Corinne, it is amazing to think what happened to that your beautiful gardens since the first pictures you posted. How powerful nature can be. Margo
    ...See More

UPDATE: obf ***seed swap ** pt 2--- 2007

Q

Comments (109)
    YES Tina with all sincerity I know For sure with NO Doubt As to who took the seed's from the robin . as for taken so many packs of seed's, did not bother me it was the fact that there was some that had 2-3 pks alike that were taken . that maybe others in the group might of like to try . & all seed robins I have ever been in rule has always been just replace what you take out . this was not done . its all about honesty. to yourself & your friends . guess I wasn't a friend to who took from me right ? well another robin about over thank you all. Trully if I sound hurt , I guess it is true for I guess maybe I take Truth & Honesty very sincerly in my home & life . I 'am the kind of lady that if you hurt me once same on you. but hurt me twice same on me . life goes on when you can forgive, All is forgiven . But Not all is forgotten . susie
    ...See More
  • msafirstein
    17 years ago

We are presently under construction but my new kitchen is a period kitchen and I am trying to reproduce the kitchen from the first home I ever owned which was built in 1890. I designed our remodel and addition, which is basically a brand new house with "some" existing exterior walls. The link below are before and during pictures of our construction. Sorry no pic of the kitchen which is just plywood floors and stud walls at this point.

I am a baker not so much a cook, although I've been cooking up a storm in my temporary kitchen. I love to braise! And I am looking forward to canning again!!

I am a junker and absolutely adore to pick through flea markets, second-hand stores and "gasp" even trash by the curb! Bottom line is I like any thing vintage or that looks old. I collect vintage aprons, funky serving pieces and love to store my spices, herbs and oils in unique bottles and jars.

Michelle

Here is a link that might be useful: House before and during

• shaun
    17 years ago

It takes too long to search with the board so slow moving. I hope everyone will post here to let their partner know some little things about them.

My kitchen looks like this:

I love everything! I love gadgets, I love baking, cookbooks, glass serving pieces, kitchen towels, cookie cutters, wind chimes, bird feeders. I'd love to learn to can and I'd love to be a great break maker. See? I love it all.

I am on a diet so I probably couldnt use any food items.

Hope to see more posts!!!

• chancesmom
    17 years ago

Our kitchen/dining area is in earth tones, woods, greens and some stainless steel. I am more of a cook than a baker, but doing more baking now that I have a KA stand mixer. We love to eat and cook Italian mostly, but are fairly adventurous. We don't like some seafood(mussels, oysters), love coffee, red wine and DH loves beer. We do a fair bit of entertaining, mostly weekends since we work Mon to Fri.

There are 3 of us, Dave, Chance (5 yrs old) and me, along with 2 dogs.

I have done 3 swaps and have LOVED everything.

• goldgirl
    17 years ago

There are two of us - DH and me, and six Goldens :)

My kitchen is similar to Shaun's, but I don't have much open wall or counter space and prefer not to keep stuff out. My dining room is very traditional with mahagony and black furniture, red walls and touches of gold throughout. A hint of Federal - black chair fabric with stars and laurels, and a Federal-style mirror on the way via eBay!

We love ethnic food, especially Thai (just bought a cookbook), Vietnamese (never tried it at home), Spanish (have a paella pan that I still haven't used) and Mexican (have never cooked authentic). Also love sushi.

Since it's just us, we also enjoy meals made up of just appetizers or tapas. Bar food, DH would say ;) We tend to like simply prepared food with lots of flavor.

We rarely cook Chinese or Italian (except a few dishes like Joe's lasagna) because we're surrounded by good, cheap restaurants. I got into bread baking last year, but don't do much of that since we moved to an area with great bakeries.

I'm picky about some foods, but DH loves everything I don't, so nothing ever goes to waste.

I started a new job last fall and my schedule is hectic and always changing - so, time is at a premium. Quick & Easy has new meaning for us when it comes to food LOL.

• msprettyky
    17 years ago

Well I cant post photos for some reason and the hubby is out of town till Monday, so I will ask him to help me then. It's the two of us, along with 3 dogs. Who, by the way, believe they are people. Just ask them! :)
    Our home is done mostly in earth tones. We have wooden floors and ceilings throughout most of the house. The kitchen is mostly wood with black and red accents. Our home has alot of asian influence. We plan on doing some major updating in the next year. We entertain friends and family often. I love to bake. I make cakes and candies and have been saving the money I earn for a trip we plan to Italy within the next couple of years. My husband is from the philippines and we prepare all types of dishes here. Everything ranging from asian to italian to german. Cooking together is one of our favorite ways to spend time with each other. We love wine and have been visiting different wineries since we were married. We have managed to visit about 5 or 6 in about the last year and a half. I love cookbooks and have myself a nice little collection so far. I must admit when it comes to cooking, I am not that great. But when it comes to baking....I can tango with the best! :)
    I dont want to brag but I am famous for my brittle. I ship it all over the states, especially at xmas. I feel like I am ratteling on about myself and its kinda weird. If there is anything else I can tell you please let me know. I think I have gone on long enough! :)

• doucanoe
    17 years ago

Wow, I have been searching for these threads from past swaps and can't find much. So hopefully everyone will post to this one! Hope my partner does!

Here is my kitchen and dining area. We live in a log home, and it is pretty small and open so not a lot of wall space or counter space.

Colors are burgundy and earthtones, grape theme in kitchen.

We are avid bird watchers, and I love to garden, although living in the middle of the woods, sunny spots are limited, so I don't grow many vegetables. i do have an herb garden and lots of perennials.

I love antiques-especiallly antique linens, cookbooks with lots of photos of the prepared dishes (working on my presentation skills), pottery and copper pieces.

I don't drink much coffee,hot tea or soda, mostly water or iced tea. I do love wine, red or white as long as they are not sweet. I like experimenting with martini's, not so much the gin and vermouth kind, more of what I call "designer" martini's. Love to concoct refreshing summer drinks, too. (Can't wait to use the Mojito set I got from Oly in the last swap!)

No food restrictions or allergies. Favorite ethnic cuisines are Italian and Mexican. I love Chinese, but have found it mostly tedious to prepare.

i love everything, and I am sure I will adore anything my swap partner chosses, as it comes from the heart and that is the best part about the swaps!

Linda

• wizardnm
    17 years ago

Oh Boy, this is the hardest part of the swap for me. I can never think of what to say... So I am going to make this short.

My living area, which includes the kitchen, is a dark taupe color, which I hope to keep for a long time as I love it. I like more contemporary styles and have been collecting handmade pottery. There is just the two of us and our dog. Kim will eat anything, I'm more the picky one. But we both love Asian, Italian, German, French and Mexican. I love to bake and am especially into Artesian Breads, but I bake it all, even pies. I also like to do home canning, fruit items mostly. I am not afraid to tackle most any recipe that sounds good.

OK? I can't really think of much else, just know I will enjoy whatever I recieve. I've had fun with everything I've recieved from these swaps....even the live lobsters, which I cooked the same night I recieved them, rather than giving them names and feeling bad when they went into the boiling pot! (They were awesome eating!)

Nancy

• craftyrn
    17 years ago

Just the 2 of us at home now-- no allergies -- do try to stick to lo salt--lo cholesterol--

Our very casual lifestyle suits us to a tee -- kitchen is almonds, browns & greens-- as is the rest of the house -- lots of wood & overstuffed furniture --

I don't do well with spicy hot foods tho Hubby does. Don't like "curry" but other than that enjoy just about any kind of cuisine-- & Hubby does too.

• earthlydelights
    17 years ago

my turn ~~ since im new to this side of the forums, iÂll try to give you as much information as I can muster.

right now it's just me and the girls - 6 year old shepherd mix sisters, grace and lucy. son and family (which includes my 6 month old granddaughter) live about 10 minutes away.

i am not a fan of mexican or indian food/spices, i donÂt do sushi, nor do i use a microwave, but pretty much everything else goes.

my kitchen is yellow and green.

my preference is dark chocolate. i am a tea drinker, but not into those fruity, funky, chai, zinger, kinds. i brew loose tea (in one of those stove top coffee percolators -- that has never had coffee in it) and drink a healthy pot of it every day. i drink lemonade, anything grapefruit and on occasion soda (pop. root beer is my favorite and before i die, i'm determined to try every brand made. i like hot chocolate, but not flavored, no marshmallows or floating things. i'm more of a white wine person, love dessert wines and i enjoy liqueur. ice cream is a favorite, as are sorbets and, since traveling to italy, gelato. almonds are my favorite nuts. i like all things lemon.

i bake; make cakes Âon the side for weddings, showers, birthdays and events; i do some catering, both food and sweets, but not as much as i once did. i also work in the corporate world (blah).

i am just getting into bread making, thanks to the fine examples and the encouragement of this forum.

everytime i use my mandolin, i slice a finger, so it sits in a drawer until a new injury calls out to me. i make my own pasta and gravy (what others call sauce) from the tomatoes i can.

iÂm a gardener ~~ flowers, herbs and veggies. i grow more than i can ever eat or put up, so quite a bit goes to neighbors, friends, family and where itÂs needed (to give you an idea, last year i had 62 tomato plants alone). i have a greenhouse. i have a gazebo/tent in the yard and often dine out there when weather permits. i also have a front porch and sometimes we enjoy breakfast out there.

i absolutely love homemade stuff - jams, jellies, baked goods, oils, liqueurs, cookies, cakes, candies and other stuff.

thanksgiving is my absolute all time favorite holiday and i have a beautiful colletion of serving pieces/bowls, which i am constantly adding to. eventually i will have a nice assortment of dessert size leaf-type plates.

my favorite types of cookbooks are the ones that make for great reading and enjoyment while savoring each page.

in my leisure, i enjoy the outdoors, fishing, antiquing and auctions, flea markets and thrift shops and rescuing old stuff. i am an avid reader; i collect pottery be it tea pots, vases, tureens, cruets, sugar and creamer sets, et al, crystal, table linens, doilies, dishes for various occasions and the list goes on. i have 7 china cabinets, 4 of which are in my dining room. [and i live in a small house :-)]

i will enjoy whatever my swap partner chooses for me and really look forward to my very first CF swap.

hope this helps.

maryanne

• arabellamiller
    17 years ago

Let's see - me, DH, 3 kids (8, 5, almost 2) and a very old cat. My kitchen is blue, but I like all colors bold and bright! I love pitchers and placemats and anything with clean, crisp lines.

We keep kosher, which I know can be daunting if your not familiar with the customs. I think there are a couple of other kosher people on the forum, so if you're their swap partner and have a question, feel free to email me.

I love pies in the summer and soups in the winter. We eat a lot of soup in my house! I make bread, but usually stick to my machine. I'm very short on time because of the kids, but I love these swaps!

AM

• girlsingardens
    17 years ago

Well, I say when you walk into my house, welcome to crazy you are here. It is usually more than a little crazy around our house. DH is a teacher and computer coordinator and athletic director, so we spend a lot of time at school activities. We have 2 little girls, Rhiannon 3 and Peyton 18 months old, and are expecting number 3 in August. I stay at home with the girls and do some substitute teaching when needed.

I love to can, and luckily went over board last summer, with being so huge already I don't think that I will be able to reach the stove come summer time. I also enjoy cooking all our meals, doing some baking and trying new things. I love to garden and we spend so much time out doors that I get so stir crazy in the winter time.

I love old vintage things. I am always combing through fleamarkets, goodwill, garage sales and auctions for things for our house. I just love old dishes and vintage linens and have quite a few.

As for food, no alergies but we aren't too adventurous. Funny thing is Rhiannon is so veggie, she loves all fruits and veggies, and if given the choice that is all she will eat. Now Peyton is the opposite and loves meat and carbs and will not eat much fruits and veggies. It is funny how oposite they are, but it is kinda like DH and I are. I could easily go veggie and DH is a meat and potatoes kinda guy.

This will be my 4th swap so anything my partner sends will be great. The girls love when I get my package, Rhiannon ususally claims everything for herself LOL. They both ooh and ahh over all the pretties.

Stacie

• lowspark
    17 years ago

It's me, DH & 16 yo vegetarian son now. I drink wine and beer but not coffee. I drink a ton of iced tea but don't like flavored teas for the most part. I'm lately into Cosmopolitans and trying to perfect my chocolate martinis! I love chocolate, especially dark, but not white.

Mexican is my favorite ethnic food but I have access to a ton of good TexMex here in Houston so I don't cook it very often. I also like greek/middle eastern, italian, asian (except curry) and I'm always interested in trying new things.

I have a ton of great serving stuff but of course there's no such thing as TOO much of that kind of thing. Most of my stuff is storebought ceramics so I'm definitely open to any cool handmade stuff or alternate materials.

I love to bake but don't do as much as I'd like to. I've baked bread a couple of times in my life but not lately and I'm inspired by this forum so I hope to do some of that soon.

No food allergies or restrictions. I like spicy, savory and sweet.

Kitchen colors: purple, black, sage green
    kitchen theme: grapes
    DR colors: purples & dark reds
    DR theme: irises

You can see pix of my kitchen and other stuff if you follow the link on My Page.

As others have said, I'm sure I'll love whatever I receive, I always do! It's just the fun of the swap! So please don't fret or sweat over my gift.

May

• granjan
    17 years ago

I have lots of posts that tell way more about me than most people want to know. I live in a big, old, shaded Edwardian very near one of the best produce markets in the country. It's just Norm and me on our perpetual diet, so we can go eat bad stuff at some wonderful restaurant.

I adore baking but only do it on holidays and to take somewhere; we can't be trusted. I collect cookbooks, cookie cutters, cake pans, and lately have been adding cake plates/stands and ceramic pie plates. I also adore antique linens, have some from my great grandmother. My kitchen is blue and yellow because that's what the tile was when we moved in 20 years ago. I collected so many blue and yellow plates that I kept the color scheme, adding a chartreuse for interest. (Still look for more plates.)

We are total omnivores who love to discover new foodstuffs/preparations. We love eating in out of the way diners and 3 star Michelin restaurants, and everything in between. And we adore traveling and eating local street food.

• catlover
    17 years ago

This will my 4th swap. I am easy. I love and use everything.

I am really into earthy colors. (I used to be a blue/white gal--no more!)

I love to bake bread. We love spicy food and ethnic food. Can't go wrong.

Here are my kitchen and dining room.

Adele

• ziporion
    17 years ago

I enjoy these swaps too!

I enjoy most food. We enjoy a very casual style, love having friends to dinner, as well as just hunkering down with the family.

We love all ethnic varieties of food. I'm more a cook than a baker, but do try my hand at both. I love vintage and antique stuff (hard to find here in the Yukon).

As for drink, we love our loose black tea, and find coffee occasionally satisfying (mostly it upsets my stomach). I don't have any food allergies or restrictions.

My dining area is a cranberry red.

I'm totally easy to please, so whoever you might be, put yourself at ease, I'll love whatever is sent. Have fun!

Catherine

• paulines
    17 years ago

Hello partner, whomever that gorgeous, vivacious, wonderful & intellegent person is ;)

I have/enjoy red accents in the kitchen. Dining room is neutral accented with a bit of turquoise. I just received new dishware for the holidays, sets in basic white porcelain & turquoisey colored glass, in addition to my royal blue plates & beloved jadeite green. Love anything earthy & mediterranean.

No particular food allergies or restrictions here, but I'm finding I can't do spicy, like I use to. Have fun and don't sweat it and please, oh pleeeease don't make me last (you think Marcia/Cololady was bad, lol)

• teresa_nc7
    17 years ago

Over the past few years I've been in a bunch of swaps here and I've loved every one of them! I am really very easy to please.

Mostly I cook for myself these days. I like my chocolate dark, my unflavored coffee black, most any flavor except anise/licorise, and just about anything from Trader Joe's. I love little vintage cookbooklets or local cookbooks. I like herb tea and black tea, spicy foods, condiments or all kinds and vintage gadgets.

I've got a collection of Pink/Red Transferware going - all patterns and some from TJ Maxx, etc. Here is a pic:

{{gwi:1459631}}

Please don't fret over choices for me, I really like just about anything.

Teresa

• dlundin
    17 years ago

Yeah, I like just about anything too! And I've not been disappointed a single time since starting to play. What I really love are regional items, things I can't get (easily) here. So I think that makes it pretty simple. While my preference is more savory than sweet, it can go either way, depending on the mood.

I love grilling, barbecuing and my favorite cuisines to cook are Italian, Mexican and French. I love Chinese and Thai, too, but I'd rather go out than try to make them, we have such good ethnic restaurants in L.A. I have been experimenting a bit with Thai thanks to Sherry from the last swap.

My favorite food is pizza, followed by cheeseburgers... kinda junky but what can I say? I like what I like. :) A good rib eye steak is always welcome. And roast chicken... now I'm getting hungry.

I like restaurant cookbooks, especially if you've been to the particular restaurant and can vouch for it.

Vicki and I share the house with one indoor cat and three outdoor ones. We have a happy citrus kitchen... orange, lime green and dark green.

I think these swaps are a lot of fun and I enjoy researching my partner's likes and dislikes. However, I am happy to have anything regional or homemade.

• phyllis_philodendron
    17 years ago

I haven't been posting on any of these threads lately, I'm SOOOO sorry! Bad PHyllis! We've been sick lately and there's been a lot going on! I don't suppose anyone would like to receive my extra cranky 3-year-old in a surprise swap package?? Didn't think so. :)

We're pretty eclectic here. My kitchen is yellow with dark tomato red accents. I collect porcelain and love white ironstone the most.

My favorite foods have been changing lately since I'm totally dairy free. DD has a milk protein allergy so whenever I eat cheese or cow's milk her intestines get all screwed up, poor thing. ASide from that we are happy and she's doing well with the rice milk and vinyl non-dairy butter I use. :) Hey, whatever works!

My interests include photography (although I'm not as good as Diana :) and occasionally cooking. ;P We enjoy comfort foods the most, nothing too spicy. I also like to read and hose around on the computer in all my free time. :) I would love to learn how to can and join the ranks of the Experts here at CF but didn't have time when I visited my mom last (who was going to show me). I love to sew and like homemade things the best. As far as ethnic things go, I'm not really sure - DH's family is from The Netherlands and we always enjoy food and regional items from that area, like the Makkum tiles that I have.

{{gwi:1459632}}

I can think of anything else - I feel like I've told it all on the other threads! :D

• craftyrn
    16 years ago

To the top