SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
carsonheim_gw

fixing a design snafu regarding exterior brick...

carsonheim
9 years ago

Howdy. I've got an email in to my architect, building consultant and my brick guy. I'm hoping some experienced folks here (or even those that just have good ideas!!!) can chime in on how to fix a design flaw.

Long story short, our architect made a mistake with the plans. Our garage has a bonus room upstairs, and the architect mistakenly make the INTERIOR dimensions of this room the same as the EXTERIOR dimensions of the garage.

So the end result is that the room cantilevers out about 6 inches on three sides.

Here's how it is supposed to look:

And here is how it actually looks:

So now, we've got siding running down the front to the correct location, we have an issue on how we will run brick up that 3-foot-ish section, and how it will meet up with the siding:

What we are considering is running the brick up the bottom portion of the garage as was planned, then having it "step out" for a few courses, since the cantilever actually protrudes about an inch further than the brick ledge below. However, we are not sure how to terminate the brick and have it rejoin with the siding above.

Tearing down the garage and redoing it is not an option. Any words of wisdom would be much appreciated. I am so sick about this I'm actually feeling like I might vomit. :(

Comments (32)