SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kitterlee

Gross shower (grout, caulk), where to begin...

Kitterlee
12 years ago

Our shower has tile on the floor and up the walls. The floor and lower part of the walls are disgusting. The grout is black in many places, pink in others (it should be white). The caulk is very black too and peeling up. Mold-o-rama, it's just gross. I'd love to rip out and re-do (don't love the tile anyway, and I don't think it was installed well), but that's not in budget, so we're hoping a major clean-up will suffice.

We are pretty clueless in the home diy arena, so I'd love some feedback here and how to best tackle this. I've done some forum perusing, and here's what I think our steps are...

1) Remove all the caulk using a razor blade.

2) Clean the heck out of the grout using a cleaner such as Shockwave (other fave cleaners??), but not bleach. A couple applications may be necessary (Should we expect all the black to go away?)

3) Seal the grout?? I'm fuzzy on this... will sealing help with the mold issues? What are favorite sealers??

4) Re-caulk with caulk that is anti-mold (favorite caulks??) Do we need to wait a while before putting in caulk - to be sure everything's dry??

Does that plan sound OK? What have I missed or gotten wrong?

I really appreciate your input - thank you!

Comments (6)