SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pitpat_gw

Bathroom finished! Pics & a question

pitpat
16 years ago

Finally! Now I can rest! After a couple years of on-again/off-again planning, our bathroom remodel is done. I am so relieved to have it done, and I am pleased with the results. It's not perfect, but I think the glass tile looks great, which is what we were most worried about. And I and happy with the colors. I could see it in my head, and it was beautiful, but there was always that little voice inside saying, "are you *sure* these colors will look good together?" I really appreciate all the help I got from this forum!

The timing of the work was a bit dodgy, as demo started a week after I had a baby, but at least the job was done by the time baby came home from the hospital (he was a preemie, so he was there for a while). My 3-year-old napped quite easily in the basement while the work was going on, and the dog was driven only slightly crazy by having all these people in the house who he couldn't jump on and lick.

There are a few details we still need to take care of, one of which is deciding what to do about the room door and the door trim. Every door in the house is a fairly light stain, which of course clashes with the dark cherry stain of the vanity. I was thinking of having the back side of the door stripped and stained dark cherry, and replacing the door trim with a dark cherry trim. Does that sound good? I also want to replace the doorknob. The bathroom is the only room in the house that does NOT have a cool vintage doorknob. I may swap the one on the basement door for the bathroom door. It's a darker metal, though not as dark as an oil rubbed bronze.

I am posting some pictures here. The rest can be found at flickr (see below). The lighting in the pictures is a little on the yellow side, due to the light bulbs. We are going to put in "reveal" bulbs to reduce the yellow.

I wish I had "before" pictures, but I totally forgot to take them. Picture this: pepto bismol pink 4x4 ceramic tile in shower and halfway up the walls, blue flowered wallpaper above the tiles, ugly 50s-ish sink/vanity combo, medicine cabinet with the fake wood trim, and ugly sliding door cabinet under medicine cabinet. We kept the glass block window, tub, and toilet.

{{gwi:1501909}}
{{gwi:1501911}}

Here are the details:

-Glass mosaic tile in shower: Hakatai Ashland "clear ice"

-Glass 3x3s lining window: Crossville Prism "sea glass" frosted

-Glass tile border: Oceanside Tessera custom blend of "clear," "equator," and "white," all in non-iridescent and matte; Oceanside Ritual Flat liner in "equator" and "white" matte

-Glass backsplash: Oceanside Tessera custom blend of "clear," "equator," and "white," all in non-iridescent and matte; Terrain Traverse liner in "white" non-iridescent (also used to line the niches)

-All lav & shower fixtures, towel bars, & toilet lever are California Faucets 4600 series "mocha bronze" (PVD) except the showerhead, which is a Grohe Movario oil rubbed bronze (the Cal Faucets handhelds are dinky)

-Medicine Cabinet: from Lowe's (don't recall the brand)

-Toilet: pre-existing American Standard

-Bathtub: pre-existing whatever

-Sink/vanity: Windsor Collection from Empire Industries "white" and "dark cherry"

-Light fixtures: Espille Collection from Kalco (the sconce is my favorite piece)

-Overhead fan/light: (don't recall the brand)

-Paint: Valspar Signature satin "hazy jade" and Behr Premium Plus satin "airy"

-Floor tile: Daltile Gold Rush "klondike white"

-Shower curtain: Croscill Tassy

My question: the last 2 pictures are close-ups of where the glass tile meets the bathtub. It is, of course, a change of plane, but I think it was grouted, not caulked. It looks like the grout has cracked - is that what I am seeing? Our house quivers a bit b/c we are very close to an expressway, a freight train line, and a Chicago elevated line, so I am not hugely surprised to see that it has cracked already (if it *is* what it looks like). Any advice?

Thanks again!

Here is a link that might be useful: Flickr pix

Comments (14)