SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ideagirl2_gw

Dishwasher: high-end Bosch or entry-level Miele?

ideagirl2
10 years ago

Hello! So what would you do if you were faced with the following conundrum--a good local appliance store selling the following:

In the left corner: a stainless Bosch SHE8ER55UC (part of the 800 Series), last year's model which retailed for around $1500 but they apparently bought too many of and people aren't buying because it doesn't have hidden controls (this is a high-end foo-foo appliance store). So now it's on sale for $899. Adding a 5-yr warranty would be $189, so total $1088. It has a cutlery tray and a half-load option. It says it operates at 40 dB.

In the right corner: a stainless Miele G4225SCSS (Futura Classic), which like all Mieles is never on sale but retails for $1099. Adding a 5-year warranty would be $239 because the store charges more for warranties when the cost of the appliance is over $1000, so total $1338. It has a cutlery tray but does not have a half-load option. This being a Miele, they won't tell you how many actual decibels it is, but it has "Q1 acoustics"--in other words it's the loudest available Miele. I have read that Q1 means somewhere between 50-55dB but I don't know if that's true. If so it's a huge difference.

What to do??? Are Mieles so rock-solid, or are Bosches so unreliable by comparison, that it's worth the extra $250? Or alternately, do Mieles just clean and dry better? It annoys me to have to take dishes out of the DW just to put them in a dish rack to dry, and also annoys me to have to handwash dishes that I just washed in the DW, so if one of these DW's is a particularly excellent performer that would be good to know. And finally, does Q1 acoustics really mean 50-55dB?

Comments (12)