SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cbarry_gw

Dial up Wireless Internet for traveling

cbarry
15 years ago

Hello,

I will be traveling in Florida in a few weeks, and will have a need for wireless dial up service. I've looked at places like Net Zero or People PC so that I can do this as cheaply as possible. I have a MacBook Pro with a Verizon 740 ExpressCard that works with my work's verizon wireless service, but they told me that the last person put $600 on the account! And since this is going to be mostly personal use, I don't want to rack up charges like that (for either one of us). It's their modem, my mac, and I just need to figure how to get free or nearly free wireless service through the card, because I don't have a landline modem, and the family I'm visiting doesn't have internet access at all.

As I write this, I'm wondering if Verizon has a local number that I can dial up, but I'm not sure if this account is also charged by Mb traffic going through the pipe. My Help Desk isn't typically very knowledgeable about this, and didn't even think that the modem would work with the Mac. So I tried it myself and I can connect through the modem and work's service.

In the end, does anyone have any recommendations about the best way to do this? best service provider? I'll be in 914 area code, near Sarasota/Bradenton. I don't mind paying a little more than free to get faster/better service.

Thanks in advance!

Carolyn

Comments (4)