SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mschway

Help with new kitchen appliance choices

mschway
14 years ago

I'm apologizing in advance. I *KNOW* this has been covered in depth numerous times here on GW, but it doesn't hurt to get even MORE opinions. ;-)

We're doing a full kitchen remodel, moved into a "great room" incorporating living room and dining area. (Whooppee!). I've done lots of research here and other places and have settled on some appliances, and still square on the fence about others. Dissenting opinions are WELCOME (please!)

Performance is important. Noise level is important. Appearance, a little less crucial.

Dishwasher: KitchenAid KUDE70CV. This is the one withOUT the food grinder for a quieter noise level. Front panel (instead of door-edge) status lights so we can see where it is in the cycle while it's running.

Cooktop: BlueStar 36" slide-in with 6 burners. No griddle.

Vent hood: Zephyr Typhoon.

Wall Ovens: Aha! Here's a chance for some real controversy. It'll be a speed oven mounted over a full-size.

Microwave/Convection/Speed: After spending DAYS pouring over the threads here, we're leaning towards the Advantium over the Miele. I will be using the MW a lot (my wife will probably be using it more as a small conventional oven), and I've heard that the Miele's microwave functions are buried a couple menus deep; the Miele's hard to clean (but maybe the newest model is better?); and the MW isn't as powerful as the 240V Advantium.

Begs the question: WHICH advantium. I like a 30" width to match a (yet undecidecd) lower oven. The Monogram would blend in better with whatever lower oven we choose. The Profile reminds me of a Star Trek Stormtrooper's helmet and would be harder to blend in with whatever lower oven we choose. I've also heard the Monogram is quieter. True?

240V vs 120V? It'll be a major remodel so I'm pretty sure we can wire it either way. Is the 240V's speed worth the extra price?

WALL OVEN: Completely undecided here. The speed oven will be getting more use. I like the idea of a true European convection. Styling doesn't HAVE to match the Advantium, but it MAY be nice. That said, what do folks think? I don't want to drop more than $2500 here, if possible. Electrolux Icon? Bosch? Kenmore Elite? K/A? Even the Frigidaire gets good reviews here. HELP, my brain hurts!

FRIDGE: Speaking of brain freeze, we're still undecided on a fridge. I like the 25+ ft capacity of a full depth reefer, and we're decided on a lower freezer French door type. I do NOT like the fact that an in-door icemaker takes up so much inside door space. That said, most of the stuff I've seen is pretty junky. Drawers are flimsy (and too shallow for a big head of cabbage). etc. I like the interior of the E-lux, but so far it's available only with the in-door ice dispenser. I've heard a rumor that they're coming out with a version with the ice dispenser in the freezer (where, IMHO, it belongs.) Is this true?

Why are the higher-end interiors available only in counter-depth models? Don't foodies need to refrigerate an entire turkey carcass too? ;-)

Ok, discuss.

Thanks in advance.

Comments (2)