SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lowspark1

When it's cold outside, do you prefer...

lowspark
14 years ago

When it's cold outside, do you prefer it to be really warm inside, or just warmer than it is outside?

OK, that may not make sense, let me explain. When it's cold outside, I wear warm clothing. Around here, that generally means a sweater or a blouse/sweater combination. And a coat if needed.

When I get inside, I take off the coat of course, but the warm clothes I'm wearing stay on for the duration. If they crank up the heat, I end up being hot and uncomfortable. I shoulda worn the same short sleeves I wear throughout the summer! But, it's winter, and it's weird to be wearing summer clothes, huh?

I wish they would make it warmer than outside of course, but still cool enough that winter clothes would feel comfortable instead of hot.

May (sitting here with here sweater sleaves pushed up the elbow)

Comments (33)

• claire_de_luna
    14 years ago

May, I'm currently wearing summer clothes, with a fleece jacket when I go outside. This morning it was 18 degrees. Inside my own home, I like to keep it cool. In fact, I have the fans running, just to keep the air circulating! That said, I wish I could get over being so warm all the time, because sweaters are my favorite article of clothing, and I haven't been able to wear them for the last six years.

It's harder to maintain temperature when you're in a warmer climate like Texas I think. There are the old people who can ever get warm enough, and everyone else. I love my cold weather clothes, but am finding thin layers the way to go these days.

• dgkritch
    14 years ago

I like it really warm when it's cold out.
    I live where it's usually wet and cool all winter so it's 'bone-chilling'. I love having the woodstove cranked up! I'm almost always in sweats and slippers at home and I'm comfortable.
    We do keep the bedroom door shut so it's cooler to sleep.

Deanna (40 outside, 75 inside!)

• Related Discussions

How do you make yourself go plant bulbs when it is COLD?!

Q

Comments (19)
    I felt halfway over my cold today, when the weather was supposed to be the highest in a while, 42 F, and even kind of sunny. After a few non-postponable family commitments, I put on a scarf, hat, and down coat and headed out at 2 pm to make tracks before the sun went down at four. Dashing back and forth between the garage and the back yard assembling tools and my huge tray of bulbs, I chortled, "It doesnÂt even FEEL cold!" I decided to start with the little bulbs like chionodoxa that needed shallow 3 inch holes, thinking once I got those done I would feel a great sense of accomplishment. Then I started digging my first little hole. I thought, "WhatÂs that yucky white mold under the mulch?" and plunged my trowel in. Or not. (Did I hit a rock? Move trowel over, try againÂ) Nothing happened. The trowel did not go in even an inch. ThatÂs when I realized the funny looking white stuff was not mold, but ICE CRYSTALS. The ground was already frozen! In mid-November! IÂve planted later than this before! How can this be??? I got a pickaxe and managed to plant maybe 50 before the sun was too far down to continue. That is, if you can call it "planting" when you put a chunk of frozen dirt on top of a bulb and canÂt press it down knowing that if you do, you will crush the bulb. 3 inch deep hole, hah. Those chionodoxa are an inch down if anything. 50 down, 650 to goÂ.ItÂs supposed to snow tomorrow.
    ...See More

What to do when it's 25 degrees outside - share your garden pics!

Q

Comments (38)
    Bella, you have many great varieties! I love coral charm and do tell. Well I pretty well love them all to be honest! I planted a number of itoh peonies, for some reason, as lovely as they are, they just aren’t the same as herbaceous peonies. I planted three tree peonies this year but it’s way too soon to tell what those will be like How did you find the zinnias to grow? I have several varieties I want to try! And sunflowers as well! To be honest there’s a very extensive list of ‘trials’ I am planning to conduct in the spring with seeds .. lol. Luckily I have no squirrels around here , or if they are around they certainly don’t go into my beds. I tend to plant the double type tulips, which resemble peonies. Drop dead gorgeous blooms. My faves from last year were sensual touch which is a double-fringe I think, my gosh are they ever beautiful. la belle epoque was gorgeous too! I love bringing in cut flowers into the house. I can’t wait for spring
    ...See More

What do you do inside, when you want black windows on the outside?

Q

Comments (5)
    Thanks Windows on Washington! The interior design hasn’t been fully set per se, but I will be working with a professional. However we have to order the windows soon, and I won’t have my kick-off meeting in time to get a detailed opinion. :/ (Just poor planning on my part. Ooops.) But suffice to say the house will be a “modern farmhouse/transitional/traditional”. I’m going to stay away from the shiplap and other very “in” aspects of it and try to stay more classical, if that’s possible, but it will still have that modern farmhouse feel. So the black will def fit with the interior design, just not sure if I still should do *every* room with that color or not. Hope that makes sense. :)
    ...See More

Baby it's cold outside! (Do I need a blanket?)

Q

Comments (1)
    Are you trying to tell us you don't think the orange tarp leaning up against the foundation wall is not bracing enough? How do we know those orange tarps are not protecting the several king and queen size heating blankets?
    ...See More
  • dedtired
    14 years ago

I dress warmer in the winter. My office gets cool, especially in the afternoon. I keep a space heater under my desk. I also bundle up at home because I don't want to spend my life's savings on the heating bill. I set the thermostat at 68 but I'm still chilly. It's programmed to go down to 62 during the day.

I sleep under a sheet, two cotton blankets and a down comforter. It's so cozy and I hate getting up in the morning.

It's 37F here now, but sunny and not windy.

• riverrat1
    14 years ago

I know exactly what you mean! Around the house I wear a tshirt and comfortable pants. But when I go out I want to wear winter clothing, well, because it's cold. I now layer and leave the pull over your head sweaters at home. That way I can take a cardigan off and have on a light long sleeve blouse or shirt.

I can't stand to breath the hot air.

• doucanoe
    14 years ago

I like to be warm...all year long. Not hot, but WARM.

It has been unseasonably cold here this past week withtemps in the single digits. It's tough to stay warm in those conditions!

Yesterday I think our high was +10F. I loaded up the fireplace and kept stoking the fire all day. I like the indoor temp in winter to be 68-72F.

Linda

• sheesh
    14 years ago

My poor hub is freezing to death wearing an insulated long-sleeve shirt with a long-sleeve t-shirt underneath, and I'm roasting in a turtleneck t-shirt. It's about 10* outside (up from -2*) and 70 inside. We have to walk down the road to get our mail and papers and he's refusing! I don't blame him, so I'll go in a little while. I'd like the walk; he says if he goes, he's going to drive! He's from Arizona and still hasn't gotten used to Wisconsin after 40+ years here. Slow to adapt!

• beanthere_dunthat
    14 years ago

Warmer than outside, but def not hot.

I keep the thermostat at 65 during the day and 60 at night. When DH comes home, he kicks it up and I feel like I'm roasting. He's getting better about it, though. Last winter spent mostly in Montana, Idaha and the Dakotas increased his tolerance for cold.

• BeverlyAL
    14 years ago

Very cold natured here. I want it kept about 75 degrees inside in the winter and I still have to wear long-sleeved sweaters inside. That's when the humidity is low of course. When I go outside and it's below 35 I put on as many layers as possible. My DD and I can hardly stay in the same room together because she is the opposite.

Summer is a different story. The humidity here is a killer and when it's high I like the air down to about 70 or 71.

• dedtired
    14 years ago

I hate humidity more than any other weather situation. It just saps the energy out of me. I'd rather shovel two feet of snow than sit through a week of hot and humid.

Plus, I look a heck of a lot better in winter clothes than summer!

• ann_t
    14 years ago

When it is cold outside I want it warm inside. But I turn the furnace right back at night. We sleep with a down filled duvet so I want the room cool.

Ann

• teresa_nc7
    14 years ago

When it is below freezing outside, I like for my house to be warm, but I do not like to come in to a hot, stuffy home. When it is 50 degrees outside, I cut back on the heat or turn it off while I'm away at work. I really prefer that there not be a drastic difference between the outside temperature and the inside of my house. And I like a cooler room to sleep at night.

Teresa

• pkramer60
    14 years ago

I have the same weather right now as Shermann. It is all of 19 right now, at 9 pm and my heat is set for 68. Bedtime it goes down to 63 as we have warming blankets plus duvets (and a cuddley dog and hot flashes). even my guest room has them.

Heck its winter, so the sweats are on with a cami underneath. Sweaters, turtlenecks and long cuddly duds are part of the wardrobe.

Several years ago a freind was b*tching about her heating bill. Hello! Its winter and you are wearing a short sleeved t-shirt, capris and Crocs, no socks and your heat is set for 78! Yes, Virginia, Peoples Gas will bill you $400+ to keep you comfy.

And you can't enjoy hot cocoa if the room is a sauna.....

• riverrat1
    14 years ago

I'm coming to your house Peppi!

• lowspark
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I guess I just don't like artificial heat. I hate having the heater blow directly at me. When it's cold enough to turn on the heater here, I leave it at around 64 during waking hours and 58-60 at night. I like to cuddle up under blankets but have it cool around me. It's been in the 40s at night/50s in the day lately which is cold for Houston. We get down to the 20s a few times every winter but that's REALLY cold for us.

• booberry85
    14 years ago

"I have the same weather right now as Shermann. It is all of 19 right now, at 9 pm and my heat is set for 68. Bedtime it goes down to 63 as we have warming blankets plus duvets (and a cuddley dog and hot flashes). even my guest room has them.

Heck its winter, so the sweats are on with a cami underneath. Sweaters, turtlenecks and long cuddly duds are part of the wardrobe.

And you can't enjoy hot cocoa if the room is a sauna....."

Ditto! Our heat at night is set to 60. I have too many hand made quilts not to use them!

• triciae
    14 years ago

We keep the heat at 64 during the day & turn back to 58 around 6:00-7:00 p.m. It's usually bedtime before the house starts to cool off. Sometimes, if the wind is blowing hard & the temp outside is below 20 we turn the heat to 66 during the day but that's not often.

I wear layers in the house &, sometimes, two pairs of socks. I prefer to be slightly cool than even a bit too warm. I also absolutely hate heat & humidity. Our summer temps rarely get out of the 70s, thank goodness.

/tricia

• caflowerluver
    14 years ago

It was rainy and cold last week with temps overnight down to 28-32°. We keep our house set at 70° during the day and turn it off at night. It was rainy and overcast for a week and stayed in the 50's. The house just didn't seem warm enough so I bumped it up to 72° because of my hip and I do sit around a lot.

I wear sweaters, sweat shirts and thermal tops in the winter, sometimes with another sweater over that inside. Outside I wear a warm jacket. When sitting in the evening watching TV, I like my lap Dachshund and a blanket over me or I feel like I am freezing.
    Clare

• Gina_W
    14 years ago

We rarely need to turn on the heat, but I hate it when we do - it dehydrates me and I cannot sleep with it on. So we turn it on for a hour or so, then turn it off before bedtime.

I have a programmable thermostat (if you don't have one - get one), and it is programmed to have the heat come on in winter at 6AM for 1 hour. So we have warmth when we get up in the morning.

• sheshebop
    14 years ago

Well, I hate the heat. In the winter, they keep the building hot as the dickens, so I need to wear summer clothes. In the summer they keep the AC on so cold that I need to wear winter clothes. I would prefer 68 all the time. Except at home in bed. We don't even heat our bedroom in the middle of winter. I hate to breathe hot air.
    May, you just can't win. I like Peppi's guest bedroom, where you start out the bed nice and toasty warm with the electric blanket, then get into bed, turn it off, and sleep soundly in a wonderfully cool room with lots of blankies.

• Lars
    14 years ago

It's 67° here today, but some days in the morning it will get below 50°. I had DB program the thermostat so that it is 71° from 6:00 a.m. to 8:00 a.m., 60° from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. (which essentially shuts it off completely, since it is never that cold), back to 71° from 5:00 p.m. to 11:00 p.m., and 65° from 11:00 p.m. to 6:00 a.m. We had it at 72° instead of 71° before, but DB thought that was too warm (I thought it was perfect), and now that we have it a 71°, he thinks it is perfect, and I think it is just a tad cool, and so I wear winter pajamas and warm socks. It's a bit of a shock going out into 50° weather in the morning, but I'm afraid it will be quite a bit worse when we get to Texas. I don't have clothes for weather below 40°.

I like bedrooms cool at night, which is why we have it set to 65° at night. In Venice we only had a wall furnace, and so it would get down to 67° inside on the coldest winter mornings. My parents keep it 80° inside in the winter, and I hate that. I don't like extreme heat when it is cold outside - I like for it to be 72°.

Lars

• lowspark
    Original Author
    14 years ago

In the winter, they keep the building hot as the dickens, so I need to wear summer clothes. In the summer they keep the AC on so cold that I need to wear winter clothes.
    Exactly!

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    14 years ago

Our house is kept fairly cool in the winter 66-68 typically but I like to run the gas fireplace to warm things up for awhile and or carry a ceramic heater around all day so it blasts me. I also like to wear shorts, t shirts and flip flops inside all winter. I hate cooking with long sleeves on.
    At night I like it cool, 65, and sleep on a heated mattress pad and have several blankets. I also keep the ceiling fan running on high.

• annie1992
    14 years ago

Like Sherry, I hate the heat. That's why I live in Michigan, it's not SUPPOSED to get over 80 and it ticks me off when it does.

My heat never, never goes above 55 unless my mother is visiting. I turn it down to 50 in the day while I'm at work, back up at night when I get home.

I have an electric heater for the bathroom while I'm taking a shower in the morning and at night I'll sit in my heated waterbed with my bedroom door closed and the heater running for an hour. It'll get plenty warm in that closed room and I read until bedtime. By that time the room is cool again and I can sleep.

At work it's 80 in the winter and 60 in the summer. Pah. I wear summer clothes all winter and, well, summer clothes all summer too, LOL.

I do walk the half mile to work, so I have boots, mittens and a warm coat. Right now it's unseasonably warm, 37F at nearly 6 pm on Christmas, and raining. We had an ice storm last night but everything melted and now it's just rain.

Annie

• monkeymamaof4
    14 years ago

We keep the heat at 70 and at 70 in the summer most of the time. With a little one on the ground crawling, others playing on the ground, and an old drafty house sometimes it is a fight to keep it warm. With 60 mph winds, lots of north facing windows and northern winds, our curtains blow inside the house in our bedroom. We like it cold so that is okay but keep in warm on the main floor for the 4 little ones.

Stacie

• Lars
    14 years ago

We had our thermostat turned off while we were out of town, and when we got back this morning, it was 55° inside the house and 58° outside! So we have the thermostat back on, and it's back up to 70 again, but I'm glad we turned it off while we were away. The house didn't feel that bad at 55°, but I like it better at 71°. We must have had cold weather here recently for the house to be that cold, however, since 55° is way below our average mean temperature for December. My parents kept their house around 77° and would have kept it at 80° if I had not complained of headaches. Fortunately, not all the rooms were that warm, and so I could always to go a different room to cool off. There were only two days that got really cold (i.e., below 40° outside) there, and that was at night and early morning.

Lars

• triciae
    14 years ago

A front blew through here last night on a warm southern wind. At 3:00 a.m. this morning it was 52 degrees outside. All the 18+ inches of snow we got a few days ago is totally gone. Our DS & DDIL will be here tomorrow & Tuesday for Christmas (we're a little late this year. haha). Ah, the secret to our success. Guess what we got the kids for Christmas??? SNOWSHOES! lol Oh well, they've got lots of snow at home.

/tricia

• canarybird01
    14 years ago

We're not using any heat at the moment although we had an electric space heater turned on at night in the living room for a few evenings in November.

At the moment it's just after midnight and the temperature indoors is 22C (just over 71F) so it's really comfortable.
    We sleep with windows wide open summer and winter, unless there's a lot of wind when I have to close them.

I put flannelette sheets on the bed in winter and we sleep with feather duvets year round except on the hottest nights of summer.
    Our bedroom is on a shady side so it's always cool for sleeping.

We haven't put on the central heating yet this year as it's been so mild. As we're accustomed to mild weather we become real wimps on the occasional cold spell.
    (Cold is around 60F for us.) We see the tourists dressed in shorts and flip flops and we (meaning most long term residents) dress in jackets, leather boots and neck scarves.
    You can tell who are residents and who have come here on holiday by the sharp difference in their clothing on a cooler day.

But winter evenings here call for socks, long pants, sleeves and sometimes a pullover sweater.
    We watch TV with woolen rugs over our legs and cats on our laps and if it turns chilly we may turn on some heat as well.

SharonCb

• annie1992
    14 years ago

Well, I spoke too quickly. I came to work this morning and the heat had been off all weekend, some problem with the heating units. The whole courthouse was about 40F. (grin)

We left our coats on but I can't type with gloves, and it seems the issue has been resolved because my office thermometer says it's 74F. Outside it's 30F, with 35 MPH winds and it's snowing, blowing and drifting, on top of that 4 inches we got yesterday.

Annie

• sylviatexas1
    14 years ago

When it's cold outside (41 right now, cold rain falling, I'm miserable), I prefer Mexico.

• dedtired
    14 years ago

I'm cold too. It's so windy and my house gets cold when the wind blows. Right now I'd prefer to have the thermostat set at 75 and also be buried under a bunch of blankets with nice thick socks on my feet.

Or, I'd like to be going to Mexico with Sylvia.

• Lars
    14 years ago

Sylvia, when I lived in San Francisco, I spent two months of each winter in Mexico. I couldn't handle temps in the 40s with rain. I could, however, sublet my room to people from Chicago who didn't know that San Francisco was cold in the winter. I had to spend Augusts in Vancouver because SF was cold and foggy then, and so finally I decided to move away from there altogether. I also got tired of doing freelance work. I do miss my friends in Mexico City, however, as I don't get to see them as often now.

Lars

• beanthere_dunthat
    14 years ago

I thought of this thread last week when DH was home. He kept nudging up the thermostat to 70-72 thinking I wouldn't notice! Right. I noticed.

I told him to knock it off and go put on a sweatshirt if he was cold. IMO, anyone willing to go stand out in 12-15 degree weather just to smoke a blasted cigarette can certainly handle 62 degrees inside.

• annie1992
    14 years ago

LOL, Renee, I agree. The same secretaries who go outside in the parking lot in the middle of a snowstorm when it's 5 or 10 degrees outside will complain if it's not 80 in the office.

There is no smoking in the building, and although I'm not a smoker and have never smoked, I lobbied for a "shelter" outside for the smokers. The county says it will NOT pay for a building for the approximately 18% of county employees who do smoke, so they stand outside in the parking lot and smoke.

I suppose it probably isn't the best use of tax dollars, so I suggested they could go sit in their cars. Some do, but I'm not turning up the heat!

Annie

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH