SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
zaphod42_gw

Appliance selection - GE v. Whirlpool - Gluten free cooking

zaphod42
13 years ago

My husband and I are planning a kitchen remodel for next summer and I want to make sure we're getting the right appliances. We're thinking GE or Whirlpool as my husband can get a discount through his company. I'm interested in general brand opinions.

We're in our first home and haven't bought kitchen appliances before. I'm currently dealing with a miserable apartment-sized wall-oven. Baking a chicken is about the limit in capacity. I tried a duck once and the grease smoke set all the fire alarms off. We've had our Whirlpool freezer on bottom fridge repaired twice. The repairman was great and advised us that particular model was a problem and was actually made by Amana and that other Whirlpool fridges were actually better.

Here's the major consideration - We cook a lot. Every night, really. We're on strict gluten free diet. I'd be interested in recommendations from any other GF cooks out there for appliance selection. I don't need a warming drawer. I'm thinking double oven, but I'd still like to fit a turkey or fit multiple casserole dishes in there. We're thinking electric because there's the possibility for solar in the future, though I'm not 100% in favor and could be swayed to gas. I don't know anything about convection cooking. Sometimes, we get a bunch of pots going all at once. More than four burners would be awesome. Should I actually think bigger, professional sized? Any advice for starting this process would be great. If I have to trade stainless for a higher grade of use I'd do it in a heartbeat. Design and looks are nice, but not the first priority.

Comments (3)