SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gardenwebber

Microwave grief - OTR and ventilation/size

gardenwebber
16 years ago

I did read a few relevant threads to this, but can't find my specific concerns addressed, so here is a new post.

I am trying really hard to find a microwave (with convection) that is not OTR so that I can get the all-important separate hood for proper ventilation. The problem I keep running into is size. The countertop models seem so small compared to the 30" wide OTRs. And the OTRs seem to get such wonderful reviews.

My question is: where do I find a nice big microwave w/convection that I can bake cookies, chickens, and casseroles in that is not an OTR unit?

I also would like to know how all the folks who LOVE their large OTR units feel about the ventilation. I hear a lot of people raving about the convection and size, but nothing about ventilation. I have a big problem with the smells drifing upstairs and lingering for days.

Has anyone found a nice non-OTR model that is nice and roomy and as rave-worthy as these OTR models?

Also - do the OTR units have lights on the bottom like the range hoods do? That is a perk from a range hood I think I'd really love....

I like the idea of having a microwave that can double as a second oven. My range will be a duel fuel with a power burner, so the need for good ventilation increases because of this.

Thanks in advance!

Comments (6)