SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jyl_gw

A Ride Home One Night

John Liu
11 years ago

This is hardly cooking-related, but I thought I'd share a recent sort-of-fun, sort-of-interesting experience.

I usually ride my bicycle to work at 5:15 am, and I leave for home between 3:00 to 4:00 pm most days, so I don't usually ride in much traffic even though my route takes me through the densest part of downtown, over a busy bridge, and then up a major commuter street. My schedule means that I avoid rush hour. Yes, we have rush hour in Portland. It is a wimpy little thing compared to rush hour in L.A. or N.Y.C. - for one thing, it actually lasts just an hour - but it is the best we can do. And I prefer to avoid it.

A few nights ago, however, I left work a little after 5:30 pm and rode home in the heart of rush hour. It was already dark. There were cars everywhere, densely packed, headlights and brake lights glowing and flashing. The traffic surged, braked, swerved, and revved around me. I felt like a skinny ranch dog in a herd of steel cattle. Traffic was so thick that for much of my ride, I was moving faster than the cars, passing them first in the traffic lane and then in my bike lane, even as we went up a mild grade.

Passing a stream of cars in my bike lane on the right makes me nervous. Since cars are seldom passed by bicycles, some drivers often figure if they haven't recently seen a cyclist, none is there. I was extra wary of being right hooked, which is when a car or truck turns right and cuts off a bicycle that is following on the right.

To my surprise, in Portland our drivers do in fact seem to be learning to check the bike lane before turning right. On several occasions a car clearly waited until I had passed to make its right turn. The number of bicycles on the roads has reached a critical point and their presence is becoming ingrained in the subconscious habits by which most of us drive.

Then again, there was the lady in the white Escape who suddenly jerked, without looking or signalling, into the bike lane to snatch a parking space . . . I saw her coming, so she only slowed me down. I hate losing momentum on an uphill but there's not always a choice.

I had switched on all my lights, including the headlight on the handlebar and the spotlight on my helmet. These are very bright, not your usual feeble bike light. When I'm coming up behind a car that is edging over toward my lane, whose driver might be thinking about turning across me into that driveway or side street, I lift my head and put my helmet spotlight right through his rear window. His cabin lights up as if someone switched on all the interior lights and his rear view mirror is suddenly blazing bright. The car stops edging over, the driver jerks upright and looks around for the source of the light, and I go safely by, not a statistic. Same when I'm approaching a side street at 25 mph and a car is creeping out into my lane. Aim the spot, the driver's face gets lit up, I see his staring eyes and knuckles tight on the steering wheel, and the car always lurches to a stop.

My lights make me unpopular with other riders. As I come up behind them and they see their shadows growing in the brightening pool of light, they look around for what vehicle is overtaking them. Car? Motorcycle? UFO? When they see it is another cyclist, I can sort of feel their irritation.

Or maybe I'm imagining it. We bike commuters seem like a surly lot, there's never any chit chat or even hellos or waves as pleasure riders often exchange. It feels like we are grimly forging through the minefield, every man for himself, with no thought to spare for each other beyond "I hope it's him and not me". It is even more impersonal at night. In the day I take a look at the riders I pass, admiring the shiny bikes and harrumphing at the scruffy ones. At night they are just anonymous figures to be caught and passed.

On the rear I had double red blinking LEDS, which felt inadequate in that sea of tail lights. I will investigate amber blinkies and reflective tape. Reflectivity is a great thing. Some riders put big patches of reflective tape on the back side of their panniers and they stand out like glowing warning squares. I wear a messenger bag, it has reflective strips dangling on the buckles, but I'd like the whole rear panel could be reflective.

And then, with reflectivity the farthest thing from their pea-sized brains, there are the (expletive deleted) bike ninjas. The riders with no lights at all, invisible ghosts who appear from nowhere in their fashionably dark clothing. I hate them. Almost ran into, or was run into by, two of those morons that night. I wish the police would ticket them just like they'd ticket a car driving at night with no lights. I wish they'd get right hooked straight into a light pole every now and then. Wait, they do.

I guess it wasn't really a relaxing ride home. But in a sort of aggressive, pumping, teeth-gritted way, I enjoyed it. I'm glad I get to have this particular kind of fun occasionally, and I'm glad I don't get to have it all the time.

Comments (16)

• lindac
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Get a stemmed glass out of the cupboard....scan the wine selection, what's chilled, what's at it's peak....open a bottle pour a little into that glass, swirl, sniff, check the clarity and legs...pour some more, sigh deeply and be thankful you made it home....we are glad for you! And would join you in the libation....as long as you are buyin'.

• John Liu
    Original Author
    11 years ago

You want wine, eh? I just tagged along on a friend's annual buying spree at her favorite winery. They do an annual warehouse sale, minimum of two cases, but as we were with her and she buys four or five cases, I was able to buy just one. The Barbera was great, the Sonomatage (a blend) was good, I got a mixed case of those. Next weekend we are going to our friend's winery for their annual selling event, we usually get a couple-few cases there. So in a week, we'll have lots of new wine here to toast - well, hopefully things more worthy than my commute.

The thing is, we give a fair number of dinners here, guests bring wine, we drink their wine, other guests prefer booze or beer, so we don't actually go through much of our own wine. We may only buy a couple-few cases a year, and most of that is still here a year later. Once I went down into the basement and counted eleven cases of wine. We put a moratorium on buying wine for a year or two afterwards, so I think we've worked it down a bit.

I have sometimes wanted to become a wine snob/collector, with a special cave and everything, but I don't have enough time and not quite enough interest in drinking. When there's no dinner guests, we might go through a bottle every three weeks, and half of that will be for cooking.

• Related Discussions

3 new hosta hitched a ride home

Q

Comments (9)
    Nice catch there, dude. I do not have a mature hosta on the premises. But some look pretty good anyway. They are strong enough to tolerate my learning on them. Paradise Island is one I've enjoyed last year and could not believe how it filled out so nicely this spring. Here is a May shot of it, followed by a late June pic. Notice the colored petioles. Do not have Vulcan but I have Captain Kirk, Boracay, and Captain's Adventure. They all come from Gold Standard, so should grow well I'm thinking. Boracay is new this year for me. It's nice when hosta just jump right on your trolley that way. Have fun.
    ...See More

Spending one night in Nashville-what's for dinner??

Q

Comments (6)
    I'm sure there are other options that would be more local type foods, but we ate at the linked restaurant that was several blocks down the street from our hotel when visiting back in October. We did eat at a few other places too near downtown, but nothing that I found really special. No suggestion for breakfast as we just had some snacks and then an early lunch instead. We all really liked the linked place below and they were great in being careful with what our daughter could eat as she can't have anything with dairy in. You might want to search for restaurants and breakfast and read reviews online too to find some places. Here is a link that might be useful: Italian This post was edited by lyfia on Fri, Aug 2, 13 at 15:28
    ...See More

Saw one of the cowboys from AR last night!

Q

Comments (4)
    I think they're from OK, but I'd love to claim them for AR, especially Cord. Lucky you, Terilyn!
    ...See More

First night in the house!

Q

Comments (61)
    Wonderful news, Raven! I'm so glad that you're back in your own (renovated) home! I hope that it's soon cleaned, so that you can enjoy it without reservations. And you can put a sign over the bedroom door, reading, "The home of the Dancing Dog". (((((Raven and Mr. Raven))))) ole joyfuelled ... with additional fuelling powered by your good news
    ...See More
  • sally2_gw
    11 years ago

John, I seem to remember that my crew and I put a dent in your wine stash last summer!

Interesting thoughts on bicycle commuting. Portland is definitely different than Dallas and my suburb, Garland, when it comes to bicycles. Dallas is so behind the times. We have bike lanes that last a few blocks, then nothing. I can almost see the day when Portland has more bicyclists than car drivers.

Sally

• centralcacyclist
    11 years ago

I am one of the rare "commuter" cyclists in my town. By commuter I mean that I use my bike as my primary means of transportation. I actually work at home. There is a bike club here but they are weekend hobby riders with flashy bikes and gear, neither of which I have. And there are the fixie riders who ride in clumps all together. But I don't see them much anymore. Maybe Darwinism is at play.

I often encounter cyclists riding against the traffic coming at me. Ugh. I point to the other side of the street and tell them they are safer riding WITH the traffic. But mostly I ride all day long with the spotty bike lanes all to myself.

Bike lanes here are a joke for the most part. Mostly they are nonexistent. There are green signs posted around town indicting bike routes but they seem arbitrary and are only posted on side streets which run through neighborhoods full of broken up streets and cul du sacs. Some major thoroughfares have wide shoulders marked with a painted line but no bike symbol giving me a bit of a buffer against cars but on those same roads the painted line will disappear as well as the shoulder space.

I do ride on a few of the busy streets that have shoulder space. But the main drag and downtown streets have zero places to ride a bike. I was nearly hit recently while crossing the main drag by a car making a left turn. He was driving into the setting sun and probably didn't see me.

I do try to time my errands for when traffic will be light but that isn't always possible. I rarely ride after dark. It's too unnerving. I'd like to inquire about your lights, John. I don't have any lights except a feeble red flasher that I clip to my backpack or shoulder bag. I agree about reflective materials. I need more lights and better ones.

Eileen

• John Liu
    Original Author
    11 years ago

My helmet spot is this generic Chinese unit:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B006QQX3C4/ref=aw_ls__1?colid=2GSFZS0PNT5ZL&coliid=I1X430TSQPEDDC

$38, takes a couple weeks to arrive from Hong Kong, uses a single Cree XML T6 LED, claimed 1200 lumens but is probably more like 600-800.

Runs about 1 hour on a charge, maybe more on "low brightness". The battery pack is a bit bigger than a "D" cell, and recharges from the wall. Both light and battery are mounted securely on my helmet using zip ties through the helmet vents. You might have to get creative if your helmet isn't the liberally vented type. Or use it on the handlebar with the supplied mount.

This is functionally pretty close to Magicshine MJ868 for $140, and to other branded single-LED lights by NiteRider etc.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B005JG3LUQ

http://www.performancebike.com/bikes/Product_10052_10551_1126782_-1_400903_400014_400158

My handlebar light is an older NiteRider MiNewt that is functionally similar to the MiNewt 600 linked above.

The handlebar light is aimed down at the road about 30 feet in front of me. The helmet light is positioned so that, when I'm riding, it normally points down and not in people's eyes. Lift your head to point at drivers, street signs, etc.

I also have one of these little blinkies in white on the front of the bike, one in red on the back of my helmet, and one in red on the back of the bike. They are not very bright, but still reasonably noticeable at night (they are slightly directional, aim them at drivers' eye level), easy to attach anywhere, cheap at $15, and don't clutter up a bike's lines. The batteries last me a few months and bulk CR2032 batteries are very cheap (while buying 1 at a time at RadioShack is expensive). Helmet mounting is a good idea - if you only have one taillight, put it on your helmet. Up high, the light stands out a bit better.

http://bontrager.com/model/08919

Finally I have a standard bike taillight using two AA batteries - a Cateye, I think - on the seatpost. I am unhappy with this as it ruins the look of the seatpost. I may be re-positioning it soon. If you are not irrational about bulgy things clunking up your sleek bicycle, then get a standard AA-powered taillight instead of the CR2032 blinkies. Portland Design Works makes a good one, as do Planet Bike and Cateye. There are Chinese generic versions for $10 too.

http://www.ridepdw.com/goods/lights

I'll post a picture of the lights, later.

Here is a link that might be useful: Light

• dedtired
    11 years ago

Interesting to hear the story from the bikers point of view. Sometimes I get fed up with bikers on our roads. I recently had to pass a biker on a narrow-ish suburban road at the same time a car was coming the opposite direction. It was one of those perfect storm situations where we all passed each other at the same time. I couldn't stop because there was a line of cars behind me. Still I left as much room as possible between me and the biker, but he still felt it was necessary to shake his fist and yell something I presume was uncomplimentary, such as "hey old lady, I own this road, not you."

Another time I had to make a right turn as a pack of bicyclists were making the same right turn. There were about a hundred in this group, no lie. This was during rush hour in Philadelphia, which is not for the faint of heart. I stopped and waited for them to go by but they were in no hurry, with many of them stopping their and waiting for a buddy or whatever. They completely filled the right lane and I had no choice but to pull slightly into the oncoming lane to make room for them. Since I couldn't get back in my lane, I was blocking traffic in both directions, and Philadelphia drivers are not known for their patience, so things were getting ugly. I finally, slowly started inching into my lane, hoping the bikers would make way for me. I could then give them room again once I was around the corner. But no, it was somehow imperative for them all to stay together with their bright lime green shirts. Now the bikers started smacking my car. Being born and bred in Philadelphia myself, that was my cue to be a big pain in the ass, so I just continued to assertively pull into my rightful lane. Ha ha.

Both of my sons are avid bikers so I do try to be extra aware and courteous to them, but ya know, it's gotta work both ways. I even look in my rear view mirror before opening my car door when there may be bikers coming by. My brother got doored pretty badly one time.

My son, who mountain bikes, just got new LED headlights:

• centralcacyclist
    11 years ago

Cyclists en masse have a tendency to claim the road in an obnoxious way, true. I never ride in a group. I brave the streets for my daily adrenalin dose as a solo rider. I hug the curb as much as possible. I hate this time of year when piles of leaves fill the bike lanes, such as they are.

I have been yelled at, sworn at, told to buy a car, called a b*tch, and had something wet tossed on me. And in all of these instances I was not anyplace I wasn't supposed to be.

Eileen

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    11 years ago

Bike ninjas. Yea, they tick me off too, but as a car driver. I am more than happy to block the traffic behind me when a bicyclist is inching up a hill or has an especially narrow place to navigate (Nashville isn't fully bike friendly yet), but those bicyclist who dart between cars, face traffic, or go the wrong direction in general (my absolute favorite? They cut across an interstate exit from right to left, when the cars are turning left and right at the same time?!!!!)? Them? Those ninjas are on their own. I'd protect you.

• caflowerluver
    11 years ago

DH use to commute to work on a bike until he almost got killed a couple of times. They weren't really bike friendly in Silicon Valley 25-30 years ago. I remember him telling me about a time he was in the bike lane when a woman opens the passenger door and he slams into it going quite fast. She didn't ask if he was OK or even pause but hopped over his body and ran into work while the car drove away and he was left laying in the road. Also he has had 3 bikes stolen, 2 at work because they won't let them take them into the office.

I am usually on the side of the bicyclists except when there is a pack of them that take up the whole road. Here in Santa Cruz we have narrow country roads and it is hard to pass a whole group. There are a lot of bike ninjas and idiots that don't wear helmets. There is always a story on the news about a bicyclist vs car or truck and of course the bicyclist wasn't wearing a helmet. We all know who wins that one.
    Clare

• Gina_W
    11 years ago

The streets in this busy, dense suburban area are not bike-friendly at all. Two of our staff tried riding their bikes to work, one got involved in a minor accident and busted his arm. The other one got spooked and decided to go back to the car. So dangerous.

I'm in my car and I don't trust other drivers - people are nuts. (And stupid).

• dedtired
    11 years ago

The scariest, craziest bike riders are the bike messengers in the city. I've seen them here in Philadelphia, in NYC and in Paris. They are NUTS! I think it is a badge of honor among them to see who can look the wildest (dreads, tattoos, piercings and so on) and be the most daring out there in traffic. When they'd come to the office to pick up a package they would stink to high heavens, but I forgave them that because none of us would be an olfactory delight after riding bikes through them mean urban canyons in the middle of summer.

• John Liu
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Eileen, here is a picture of my helmet with the front light, battery pack, double red blinkies, and video camera.

It does look a bit Robocop, but the light is worth it. My setup is not as bright as what dedtired posted above - night mountain bikers need more light than anyone - but it is good for commuting where the concern is as much being seen as seeing.

• John Liu
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Portland is a pretty bike friendly place. The most important thing is that most drivers know what to do when they run across a bike. Err, let me rephrase that. When they encounter a bike.

I have maybe three unpleasant experiences in a year which for me is about 600-700 trips on a bike, almost all of them in the city. That's not bad. I'm not counting close calls, those aren't intentional, and you take them in stride. I'm only counting getting cursed at, excessively honked at, or being deliberately swerved at. That's not too bad.

Heck, I probably used to get my blood pressure up more when I used to drive every day. On the bike, I don't stew over things. I just push harder and enjoy the ride.

• jessyf
    11 years ago

John, I always, always love reading your stories.

Good for you and the rest of the bikers - saving the environment one car trip at a time!

Helmet: I love how you have your name and wife's phone number - but shouldn't it be 'SWMBO'? LOL. I'm passing on that tip to some biker friends. Great use of a P-Touch, aren't those things indispensable. I wonder if one should put medical insurance info on there as well, j/k.

And now for the enablement: www.cellartracker.com. Link below. DH got a bar code scanner, stickers, and is going to town on our (his) own wine collection.

Here is a link that might be useful: cellartracker

• John Liu
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I was going to put my blood type on the helmet too, but an EMT told me he would never pay attention to what someone claims their blood type to be, he uses universal plasma and at the hospital they use a quick blood typing test. The risks of infusing an incompatible blood type are too high.

Medical insurance information sounds like a good idea. Although [rant] have you checked what your "insurance" actually covers, lately? Our family of four pays about $16K/year in employee contribution. And our total family deductible is around $12K/year. We have not consumed over $12K/yr of medical care in at least ten years, probably not since the last child was delivered. Basically we pay $16K/year - and my company pays at least as much - for catastrophic coverage. On a day-to-day basis, every doctor visit and every prescription is coming out of my pocket.

I'd rather we had the system they have in France. Everyone, rich or poor, has basic, no-frills medical coverage. Those who want nicer, fancier, more sophisticated treatment - private rooms, cutting-edge technology, $100K/yr drugs - have the option of buying commercial insurance policies, if they can afford it and want to. But everyone, rich and poor, has a basic and decent level of care. We may get a version of that in the US, starting in 2014. Maybe. "There's many a slip, 'twixt the cup and the lip." Who knows if it will actually happen. [/rant]

After reading this

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/21/technology/bicyclists-using-cameras-to-capture-accidents.html

I got interested in wearing a video camera, so you see on the helmet my initial experiment. It is not the $300 GoPro that a serious biker-recorder wears, but a $38 micro-cam from a Hong Kong mail order hobby shop. Meant for use in radio control aircraft, helos, etc. After experimenting with this cheap camera, I'm putting a nicer videocam on my Santa list.

Aside from the "evidence" aspect, it is instructive to view a recorded ride and think about what dangers I did and didn't perceive at the time. I've been riding in traffic since I was a 7 y/o boy riding in downtown Vancouver B.C. on my Peugeot ten-speed, but I still make mistakes every day. Just like we all make mistakes driving, even though we've been doing it all our lives.

I'll post a link to some video later.

Here is a link that might be useful: NYT Story

• John Liu
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Just got back from the winery. Jeez it is pouring rain here in Oregon, roads were like rivers. Two more cases of wine headed down to the basement. A case of 2008 Barbera. And, more exciting, a case of 2003 Reserve Merlot. I loved this wine when I tasted it 2 or 3 years ago, but at the time it was too expensive and we were too full on wine. Now it has gone up in price, but we haven't bought wine in a while and the stuff isn't getting any cheaper, and if I dither another couple years there will be none left, so . . .