SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dedtired

Need to vent about damage to my yard

dedtired
14 years ago

I know from time to time we come here to get things off our chest, so now it's my turn. Let me start by saying that I know that in the overall scheme of things, this is small stuff. But -- I am boiling inside.

Last week was total hell at work, so I was already in a bad state of mind. It was dark when I got home last night, so I didn't notice this right away.

I had hired a guy to grind out the stump of a tree that was right along the edge of my driveway. This morning I found that he had rolled heavy equipment onto my lawn. The ground was very wet due to all the recent rain. He tore up the grass and left huge ruts in the lawn. He could easily have kept his equipment on the driveway side of the stump. I couldn't believe my eyes. I called him and left a message saying I have his check for the work and will send it as soon as he comes back to repair the damage. No way am I paying him for destroying the lawn.

Then I turn around and see that my neighbor's gardener had come onto my side of the property and sheared off all of my azaleas! The azalea bed divides our properties, but the plants are clearly on my side. In fact, she had a survey done when she moved in and the markers are still there, clearly marking that the azaleas are mine. I planted all those azaleas myself 35 years ago and have nurtured them ever since. I never trim them because azaleas are supposed to have a natural shape. It looks like they were buzzed with a chain saw. Not only that, by cutting them now, they have cut off all the blossoms that would have bloomed next spring. I could just cry.

I know the neighbor was not home when it happened, so it wasn't her fault. It was the fault of the idiot lawn workers. Even if the bushes were hers, they should have known not to do that to azaleas. I did go over and speak to her about telling her gardener to stay off my property. I did it in a friendly fashion. I like her a lot and want to remain friends.

I love to garden and have spent countless hours on my lawn and beds. I get so much enjoyment from it and to have so much destroyed by thoughtless idiots in one fell swoop is killing me.

As I said, yes, I know I should be grateful if this is the worst problem I ever have, but I am livid.

Thanks for listening. It helps to get it out.

Comments (19)