SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dcaslin

Mahogany Stain/Coating on Fiber Cement

dcaslin
16 years ago

My wife and I are building a house in the coming months (not ourselves, with a builder) and we're planning on using Certainteed fiber cement siding. We took a look at some samples and fell in love with their "Woodperfect" mahogany coating. We've found some photos on the web (mostly in promotional material at contractor sites on the West coast) and they all look great too, but we're having an incredibly tough time finding any houses actually using this coating (or any of the Woodperfect stain series) anywhere near us (we live in the middle of Maryland, halfway between Baltimore and DC). Our builder has built lots of houses with fiber cement and originally figured it should be no problem getting a reference from his supplier, but the supplier told him they'd never sold that stain before and thus had no references. Since then we've contacted Certainteed directly but had no luck, only their distributors keep records of color sales (although they were very nice). I did some more research and found out that the Woodperfect coatings are actually made by www.superdeck.com and used on a number of brands of fiber cement, not just Certainteed. I spoke with another nice person from Superdeck, but again they have no records of color sales, only their distributors. I then started emailing distributors listed at Certainteed's site to see if they could help me out, but not a single one has replied (I'm not terribly surprised, since we're not contractors, or even in their immediate area, they have no great incentive to be helpful). So I have two questions:

1) Does anyone know of any houses/commercial buildings/whatever on the East Coast (preferably in or near MD) that use stained fiber cement?

2) Does anyone have any suggestions on better strategies for finding this information?

Thanks!

Also, if you're interested, we have photos of construction so far here (nothing terribly exciting, namely just our dogs watching our well get drilled).

Comments (6)