SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dandylandy

rambling quesiton on correct location for door stops - baseboard

dandylandy
12 years ago

Hi there,

Having a hard time formulating this question, but here goes:

We live in an apartment and space is tight, especially considering the way the rooms flow - e.g. the door for our home office opens almost directly into the doorway for the living room, etc...

Every time I try to imagine door stops, I picture myself or a guest tripping over them (standard door stops project about 3" from the wall).

I measured our door knobs and levers and none of them project more than 2.5" from the wall.

I did find some 2.5" door stops online, but in the course of searching also found some really tiny, hard to trip over 1.5" stops. If I mount them further in toward the center of the door instead of the edge, they will stop the handle from dinging the wall just as effectively as the 2.5" or 3" stops mounted on the baseboard (or in the floor) at the outside edge.

Does this make sense?

So, if the office door is closed, and the LR door is open and you walk through, you are not likely to trip over that... partly because it is smaller, only 1.5" and partly b/c it is further in from the entranceway.

If you are still with me, here are my final questions:

1. will it look weird?

2. is there a construction reason why we shouldn't do this? (e.g. the door's lower corner is reinforced to take the pressure of hitting a doorstop but not the center bottom??? I dunno, making that up as an example!)

Thanks in advance!

Comments (10)