SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ynsmom

Calling all American Range Owners

ynsmom
16 years ago

I'm looking into buying a 48" American Range and would love to hear from anyone who owns one. I'm pretty impressed with the information I've come across in my research but would like to find out if its as great as it sounds.

Any information would be greatly appreciate! Thanks!

Comments (150)

• plumorchard
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

amg - I did find out the Empire Equipment is the only distributor for Atlanta. From what I found, Madisco was the distributor for the commercial line for some time. That is why it is shown on the web site. It would seem they need to update the web site so that Empire is shown.

We were able to go to the Empire warehouse and see the range. They do have one there that is connected. The dealer is Guy Gunter & Associates in ATL. I think they have the range there, but not hooked up.

We are really enjoying ours. Still lovin' it!

mcferg - I did try the low/keep warm last night but it was too close to off and clicking a little. I am very anti-clicking right now so I just gave up but I will play with it some more. Might try a simmer plate at some point too.

Does your oven pop when it is heating? Ours does, usually just once, but it makes me jump every time!

• mcferg626
    16 years ago

Yes, our oven not only pops occasionally, I'd have to say it sometimes "growls" when it is heating or just stopped heating. It's a weird sound but not a bad one, just funny.

• Related Discussions

Calling all Capital Performance range owners!

Q

Comments (0)
    I'm sure you all have gone through this, but the decision-making on appliances is just grueling! I would SO appreicate any input from folks with any sort of experience with this range! I found a local store selling the floor model of Capital's discontinued Performance 30" AG for a steal. Am seriously considering it. I spoke to the owner of Capital and he says they changed the line to the Precision mainly b/c folks were complaining that the oven exterior got too hot, but that it was really fine. That doesn't sound too bad to me. It has 4x 15,000 BTU burners, 30k convection oven (4.16 cu ft) and 18k broiler. The second choice is a 30" American that would cost us $600 more. In our very low-budget remodel, that $600 is a LOT to us. If neither of those, a GE Cafe is the next step down.
    ...See More

Which 48' Range - Biggest Bang for My Buck

Q

Comments (13)
    One point to discredit...sorry, but the Blue Star is anything but rough. I prefer its burner and grate system to most others because they are solid and hefty and clean extremely well. I don't have first hand experience with the others listed and I am sure they are great units as well but the Blue Star power is unparalled. Capital's 19K BTU capacity is impressive but they will only give you 6 max. That is probably OK for the 48 but I have a 60 inch unit and specifically wanted a minimum of 8 burners and specifically did not want sealed burners. Blue Star will pretty much configure the top how you want it and I love the open burner design. To close, we have been thrilled with our BS and everyone who has seen it remarks "That is one of the most beautiful ranges I have ever seen!" Granted, those people have never seen even a picture of a LaCanche or LeCornue but the BS is great looking and a cooking machine.
    ...See More

36" American Range All Gas vs 36" Wolf All Gas Range

Q

Comments (6)
    In February we were making a decision about the AG ranges and were looking at American, Bluestar and Wolf. We did tons of research and looked and looked. At that time I was also thinking I wanted a color range rather than stainless, so that narrowed it down to Bluestar and American. We decided the American was a better value than the Bluestar and were ready to order until we did a final measurement and discovered that the extra depth of the Performer would not work in our particular configuration because a drawer on an adjacent wall wouldn't open. So, much as we would have liked it, that eliminated that possibility. Then, we found an AG Wolf floor model on clearance (one of the old models with the open burner) and bought that. I like it, but personally I wouldn't want the burners on the new model Wolf. And, there have been a couple times (maybe only 3 or 4) when I thought to myself I would have liked to have one of the more powerful burners from the Performer. In your shoes, I'd save the money and get the Performer. This doesn't mean I don't like the Wolf; it just means that I don't think it is worth the extra money now, especially considering the fact it has sealed burners.
    ...See More

American Range Owners #3

Q

Comments (150)
    tugs - yes, the pressure has been checked by the plumber and by the gas co. - all is good on that front. Not exactly what the Wolf was doing - but same end result -no use of the oven. Hate to say it but getting service on the Wolf was waaaaaay easier - they have a service network here. Also, many others had that same problem with the same model Wolf and mine and others were bought back from the company. The problem with the American didn't start until AFTER the service company tore it apart and put it back together while installing a part to fix the gas smell we had. Then they fixed some small gas leaks and put in a new gas regulator. All the problems started then and it has been progressive. We've gone from annoying clicking with the burners to completely crippled using only one burner at a time. I'm wishing I had the 15 year old GE we replaced when all this started. After cooking with gas most of my adult life I would seriously consider going induction/electric after the past couple of years we have had! Service is due out Monday - I'll let you know what happens.
    ...See More
  • plumorchard
    16 years ago

Yep I know that sound. It isn't even loud it is just like a little hum or mumble. Not an ongoing thing - just a couple of seconds. Like you said, it isn't bad, just funny. My husband doesn't even hear it though.

• ynsmom
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Happy New Year to all!

I've been on vacation with the family so I haven't been checking in.

Johnnytugs, I think my range is in at the dealer's. I have a call into them to find out when it will be delivered. I'm not in too much of a rush. My house is not complete yet, so I can't move in yet. But I can't wait to see all my appliances in the kitchen! I have a 48" coming and looking at the "hole" where the range goes, it looks small, but I remember the range looking big. Can't wait to see the whole kitchen put together!

Its great to hear that all the new ranges worked well during the holidays! Its a good sign that they survived the cooking / baking marathon!

• johnnytugs1
    16 years ago

thank you ynsmom,
    happy new year to you as well and welcome back.what is the completion date for your house? i believe the 48" measures 47 7/8 wide. might want to check on the size of the space allowed for it. can't wait to hear your done.
    john

• ynsmom
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Johnnytugs!

The completion date for the house has just been pushed out. We're having massive rain here and the contractor did NOT turn on the sump pump so the basement flooded (over 4'of water). So now the sheetrock and doors will need to be replaced and some of the stairs.

I spoke with the dealer today and my range in not in yet. It is now due to be in at the beginning of Feb. Like I said before, I'm not in a rush. I'm hoping we can move in by the end of March. We'll see.

• johnnytugs1
    16 years ago

ouch, i'm so sorry, i'm sure everything will turn out for the best.keep in touch.: )

• plumorchard
    16 years ago

yns - oh no! I'm so sorry too! Make sure they dry everything out really well and treat whatever is necessary. You don't want to deal with mold issues! Hope it all gets back on track very soon.

Best of luck with everything -

• bungalowsteve
    16 years ago

Purchased my 36" on December 31st along with all the other appliances. House won't be done until spring so I will have to find someplace to put everything. I was told American has a yearly price adjustment in January and to expect at least a 10% increase if not more due to the popularity. I thought it best to get it now just to be safe.

The sales rep said American has been getting very good reviews.

• mcferg626
    16 years ago

ynsmom...so sorry to hear about the storm damage. I think we are in the same area, we live in the Berkeley Hills. It was a scary storm with the winds and intense rain. It's been a while since we had such a bad one. We lost power but happy to say it only lasted for 24 hours. Our American range was a comfort as we could still light the burners with a match to heat up soup and make tea. turning on several burners for a few minutes gave us some light and warmth to take the chill off. My husband is an architect and suggests that you get an industrial hygenist to oversee your water damage repairs so it all gets done right.
    Bungalowsteve...congrats on your purchase. We have the 36" 6 burner and we are really enjoying it. I think you will be pleased with your choice.

• sarschlos_remodeler
    16 years ago

Okay, all you American Rangers, a few questions for you. Anyone have the "toe cap" accessory? What's it look like? How far does your oven stick out past standard depth cabinets? Will I regret not having an electric oven for baking? How is the customer service (and more importantly, how often do you have to call them?)? Anyone have the griddle plate accessory? Does this have a griddle on one side and a grill on the other? Does it fit over the burner grates? TIA!

• plumorchard
    16 years ago

sarschlos - hello! Glad to see you. Do you mean the "leg cap"? - if so, we have it. I'll post pix below. I like the way it changes the look of the feet.

How deep are your standard depth cabinets? My "standard depth" cabinets are not really standard. But it doesn't stick out much at all. It is designed for zero clearance so it goes back pretty well.

Can't address the electric oven (but don't forget that french door option! he he).

The service has been great! I have called a few times for questions, not really service issues but the response was outstanding.

I'd like to know about the griddle plate too -
    More soon -
    Here is a floor shot of the leg cap - it is the trapezoid looking piece on the leg. I've also provided the link to all of our pictures - one will show how it fits in the cabinets.

Here is a link that might be useful: American Photos

• sarschlos_remodeler
    16 years ago

Thanks, plumorchard. I did mean leg caps. Very cute. Although it looks as though I would need to have finished floor underneath the range, since it will be exposed? I can't believe I'm rethinking my range choice AGAIN. Would be so nice to have at least one thing decided.

Anyone know where to look at one/order in So. Cal. (we're in OC)? Also, their website says they can do them in pretty much any color, but Universal only seemed to have a small color selection. How does that work? Oh, and has anyone seen the green in person?

• plumorchard
    16 years ago

sarschlos - re - flooring...depends on how tall your cabinets are. We had to raise the height of the range quite a bit because our countertops/cabinets are a little taller than normal. Also, I think there was an option for a kick plate kind of cover that would cover the front of the range at the legs all the way across if it fit in to your cabinet space the right way. (Probably calling that the wrong thing)

Colors - they have the standard colors that you saw on Universal but you can custom order a color and they will match it - cost more. I didn't see the green but you can call American (or the distributor) and request a color sample. I have a brochure with it on there in a small box. We looked at mushroom, red, dark blue, and the other blue. I think we are going with custom color (a green) since we have so many colors going on anyway it is hard for one of the standards to work.

Can't help you with your location but we did visit ours at the distributor - is that an option for you? Maybe someone from your way can help with a dealer!

• amg_roadster
    16 years ago

Ouch. Looks like the prices on the 48" ranges have gone up a decent bit.

Got tied up with finalizing the plans with the architect for the new kitchen, completing the application packet for the historic commision, and working on the cabinet & island design. Looks like I should have been paying more attention to the range.

As an aside in working on the kitchen cabinets decided to check out Home Depot and use them as a baseline. Let me tell you they are very expensive for middling quality. You can get much better quality cabinets, with "optional" finshes (glazes and stains on different cabinets vs. only stain), with more and better features for the same price or less than what Home Depot offers.

Maybe someone will put the American Range on sale sometime soon.

• plumorchard
    16 years ago

roadster - where did you get your pricing? What were you quoted?

Did they go up at the beginning of the year like everyone else?

Send me that email when you get a chance!

• ynsmom
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Johnnytugs, Plumorchard, & Mcferg626, thanks for the well wishes. Mcferg, we're building in Millbrae. Thanks for the suggestion on the industrial hygenist. Glad to hear you were without power only for 24 hours. There are still people without power! The storms have been very bad!

The contractor will be cutting out the sheetrock and removing the insulation, and getting the blowers going. This is going to be such a process.

What's the price of the 48" now?

• plumorchard
    16 years ago

Here is info on the accessory griddle -
    the lift-off griddle is 12" x 24", cast iron, 1/4" thick -

I measured the grates and it was 10 1/4" x 22" -

• amg_roadster
    16 years ago

I have not done much shopping for the range yet.

I am not sure when the prices went up, I just noticed the increase the other day on the AJ Madison website. If I remember correctly the price went up something like $1k for a 48" range.

I have not checked out Dvorsons or talked with the local retailer again.

Looks like we missed the trees for the forest. In reviewing the latest kitchen cabinet proposal we noticed an issue with the design of the expansion. The kitchen did not have as open we had planned. Spoke with our architect today and I think we have found a solution to give us the openess we want. We will give up some storage room that I wanted but I think it is a good compromise.

No construction plans yet so the changes are not big deal.

• sarschlos_remodeler
    16 years ago

According to Dvorsons, prices go up 10% on American Range next week.

• plumorchard
    16 years ago

amg - if you decide to order before the increase, be sure and touch base -

• johnnytugs1
    16 years ago

as i have said on numerous occasions before, josh dvorson is a stand-up guy & has the best price.and i ordered from ny/nj area.
    john
    917-842-1809

• plumorchard
    16 years ago

I'm still loving my range! No issues at all and it is doing great.

My 15 year old is even starting to use it some! Wooohooo!

I was just cooking seashell pastas for the kiddos (yep, outta the box) and they all tumbled out onto the range instead of the pot and I was thrilled that I didn't have to fish them out of the little area between the burner and base (like the Wolf). Yes, I know the drip pan would have caught them but for me, it was just a breeze to get them up!

How is everyone else doing??? Updates!

• ynsmom
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Plumorchard, great to hear the range is doing great! I have no new news on my end. Glad to hear the sealed burner is coming in to use. I was set on getting an open burner but couldn't find one I liked. So I decided on American only because of the quality I was expecting from a commercial range company. Glad the seal burner is working out! yeah!

• sarschlos_remodeler
    16 years ago

Just checking in to say that I'm pretty certain that I'm going to go for a 36" AR. Now I need to choose a wall oven/MW combo that won't break my bank (having chosen to splurge on the AR).

• mcferg626
    16 years ago

Hi all
    We are really enjoying cooking on this range! We haven't used the oven as much since the holidays just for lack of time. Overall everything is working great. I'm not sure we don't need to adjust a few of the burners. the medium size burners are very high flame. Are they supposed to flame several inches high? We might need to get better pans.
    We like the sealed burners, so easy to clean. All in all, a fun range. Makes me want to cook more which is a good thing.
    Happy cooking!

• amg_roadster
    16 years ago

This year has been crazy at work. Just too much going on and too much travel to do anything on the kitchen lately.

We did get approval from the historic commision the other day for the expansion. Had to make a couple of changes and we need to go back before the commision for approval for the design incorporating the required changes. Good news is that we can start moving forward. The construction plans are being worked on now.

Time to find sometime to work on the project and begin to identify construction companys to interview.

Plumchard - not sure if you recieved any of the emails I sent to you or not.

I may go ahead and give Dvorsons a call tomorrow and check on the pricing. I would hate to have to store the range for the next X months but if that would do it if it saves enough money.

I am really ready for the new range. I am tired of cooking on the old one we have.

• plumorchard
    16 years ago

amg - no I haven't! Drats - I really wanted to chat with you. Try again - I will check my profile right now and see if something isn't right! I am so sorry - do try again. I have someone in ATL I want you to try.

If you do send another, and don't hear from me - post here.

Comcast is driving me nuts! I have so many problems with messages getting thru!

By the way - great news on the go ahead!

• plumorchard
    16 years ago

amg - I just tested the email from my member page and it came thru. Please do try again -

• amg_roadster
    16 years ago

Plum-

Sent you another email. Let me know if you get it.

If not we will try something else.

• donnay
    16 years ago

Getting close to placing my order (especially since prices are going up Feb.1). I do have a question regarding the placement of the electrical outlet. Is there any concern that it is so close to the floor and may be exposed to water if there is a flood in the kitchen?

Thank you.
    Donna

• johnnytugs1
    16 years ago

donna, i placed mine at average height from the floor(same as the rest) and it was off to the left of the range and it reached fine.it is actually behind my refridge.there is 9" between my range and the refridge where a cabinet will go.
    hope that helps.if you call they will send you a schematic of where the gas and electric should be.
    john

• plumorchard
    16 years ago

amg - got it! More soon -

donna - what size are you getting? I ask because we had the drawings for the 30" and they noted location was off a little and we had to move it over once the range came in.

regarding the flooding - ours is on an interior wall - not near any water lines that might flood and we are on a basement so it would all go down! But all of the specs I've seen on many ranges have had the electrical in pretty much the same spot close to the floor.

• amg_roadster
    16 years ago

Plum - glad you got the email. Looks like the 3rd time was the charm.

Donnay-

You sure prices are going up Feb 1? I thought I was going to have time to work on the range but this past week was crazy at work and next week is looking no better.

I might just need to block off my calendar and force myself to spend some time and place an order.

I hate to store the range for the next 4 months or so but I can make the room if need be. Just need to verify the measurements to ensure that I can fit the thing through the basement door.

• donnay
    16 years ago

john - Thank you for providing me with your set-up. I contacted American Range and asked for a schematic.

plum - I am getting the 24" range (sigh, very tiny kitchen - this will go with my 24" refrigerator and 18" d/w). I will verify the location of the outlets with American Range or the appliance store I order from.

amg - That was the date I was given for the price increase. I've set a deadline for myself to get the order in by Monday afternoon.

• markrw
    16 years ago

Hi,

I am considering buying the American Range 36" saute/step-up range. Can anyone tell me:

If they own one, and any feedback?

If anyone can recommend a northeast distributor, somewhere between New York City, and Upstate NW Catskills?

If they are ever discounted or wholesaled to individual home owners for residential use?

Thanks much!

• johnnytugs1
    16 years ago

markrw
    if you go to www.americanrange.com > distributors and type in some info, they will email you the distributor info in your area.
    i saw the step-up range in reno's (dealer)in north jersey.i believe they were near rt. 80. check out the links in this post and there is a bunch of info. i don't care for signature marketing if you read previously you know why.it seems that everyone who has an american range loves them. i have a 48" with griddle.
    john
    917-842-1809

• markrw
    16 years ago

Thanks for the feedback John. I didn't understand about "check out the links in this post"? Which post...american range's, or yours?

Thanks again

• User
    16 years ago

The second post on this topic has a link to an earlier discussion. I'll post the link again

Here is a link that might be useful: Here's the earlier discussion

• donnay
    16 years ago

Hello all,

Thank you so much for all your input on the various ranges.

I've joined the "club". I just ordered my 24" American Range. I saw it in the showroom again today and re-confirmed what everyone has been saying about the range.

Donna

• User
    16 years ago

Congratulations - my neighbor has the 24" American and is very happy.

• mcferg626
    16 years ago

Figured out my high flame issue on a couple of burners. It was because the rings where the flame comes out weren't put back correctly after taking them off for cleaning. Pretty obvious once we thought to check it. Have to line up the notches so it drops all the way in. It's working fine now.

• amg_roadster
    16 years ago

Called Dvorsons today. Looks like they currently have the best price.

We have not yet broken ground on the new kitchen. In my conversation with Dvorsons they told me they would store the range as long as needed.

So I think tomorrow we are going to go ahead and order a 48" Range with a Grill.

• plumorchard
    16 years ago

donnay - congrats! how exciting - I was asking about the size because we got the 30" and that was where the differences were noted in the specs. My hubby was able to move the outlet easy enough once the range was here but we had placed it according to the drawing. Not a biggie just wanted you to be aware. Also keep in mind, if it is at floor level there is also some height to the legs that gives clearance too.

mcferg - glad your burners were an easy fix! Sounds just like something I would do too.

amg - great news for you too! Did you place the order! Hope thing progress along nicely for you.

Hello to everyone else! We still love our range - no complaints, problems, issues....

• amg_roadster
    16 years ago

Placed the order for the 48" range - 6 burners and a grill - from Dvorsons today. The only only option I added at this point is a stainless steel cover for the grill when not in use. It will create an additional workspace. The 48" range comes with a 4" rear lip, not too many options for it.

One of the options I am debating is the stainless steel "kick plate" it covers the legs.

Josh @ Dvorsons was very nice and easy to work with.

Dvorsons is going to store the range for me until I am ready for it. We have yet to break ground on the new kitchen so are not ready for the range. But I wanted to get the order in prior to the threatened price increase in Feb.

• johnnytugs1
    16 years ago

markrw sorry i didn't get back to you i was away at sea.
    alexr thanks for the input.
    donnay congrats to you i'm sure you'll be happy.
    amg thats outstanding great choice.
    best of luck,
    john

• malhgold
    16 years ago

amg roadster - if you don't mind, what price did Josh quote you? Thanks

• luisa_at_home
    16 years ago

Move over guys. I am convinced too & ordered mine from Josh yesterday. The price is still the same, so I gave him a deposit for a 36" American which I won't need til summer. The price for the 36" is still $3700. According to Josh, it should go up very shortly.
    Johnny tugs convinced me back at the holidays, & then I found out his wife is also Luisa. That did it!
    Luisa, future American club member.

• johnnytugs1
    16 years ago

congrats luisa,
    wifey's happy i'm sure you will be too!
    best of luck, i wish we could get one for the boat so i could use it more. she's a stove hog,lol. but boy can she cook. now she can do it with alot less effort, so if she's happy i'm oooooooook
    john : )

• plumorchard
    16 years ago

Hey - I think we maxed out on this thread...here is a new one.

Here is a link that might be useful: American Range Owners #2