SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pocoyo_gw

Kerdi/Redguard Substitute for Quality Construction?

pocoyo
14 years ago

We're getting ready to DIY renovate our bathroom entirely - demolishing down to the studs and starting all over with a new bathtub and shower, new lighting, electricals, etc. I consulted a friend of ours who does general construction work on the question of whether Kerdi or Redguard is better for the bathroom.

His response was that Kerdi or Redguard waterproofing for our bath/shower combo was overkill and if we construct the bathroom properly, tiling over cement backerboard will prove to be impervious, pointing out that our current 1970's bathroom most likely had none of that and was still holding up. He further added that Kerdi was used to cover up poor construction materials and for builders to get things done quickly, but not necessarily well.

What do you all think? I've read this board and lots of people are using either of the two waterproofing methods so I can't believe that it would be a total waste of money. Are there situations where Kerdi/Redguard as especially needed, or not needed at all? Also, I checked out the Stanley line of DIY books from the library, and this sort of waterproofing is not mentioned.

Comments (11)