SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
houseinma_gw

need help cutting square feet

houseinma
12 years ago

A little venting mixed in with my question since things are not looking bright and cheery. Before we started out this project we worked with a builder to get a ballpark quote (based on specifications of a house he had built) so we could design within our budget. We first went with stock plans and the same builder told us that those plans needed a lot of work before they could be submitted to the city so we abandoned that in favor of a local architect he recommended. We had the architect draw up our plans, a colonial house about 4500 sq ft total divided across 2 floors. We then sent bids out and everyone including the original builder has come back 20% or more than our budget. Needless to say we have dumped the builder. Another builder has told us that if we stay at approx 4000 sq ft or less he can meet our budget. I do not want to start designing from scratch so will be deeply appreciative if anyone can make suggestions as to where we could cut cost and square ft. I am open to any other suggestions as well. Thanks in advance!

{{gwi:1493330}}

{{gwi:1493332}}

Comments (15)