SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
netla

Is this crazy?

netla
14 years ago

I lost my job on Wednesday. It was a huge shock, and I was in a numb daze for the most part of the following couple of days. Now, however, I realise I feel a sort of relief. In September 2008 I was seriously considering quitting, because although I liked my coworkers and the workplace culture, I hated my job. It was repetitive, frequently boring and I was way overqualified for it. There was also little possibility for promotion. But then the Icelandic economy collapsed and unemployment soared, so I decided to stay put until things got better. But they only got worse, and my boss had to make some tough decisions which included laying off a couple of people.

I have a three month period of notice with full pay and no work duty, plus I get paid for the vacation days I had left and the ones I had already earned for next year, and I get a Christmas bonus. Then I go on unemployment benefits for 3 months on 70% of my former pay rate before I start receiving benefits that just barely cover my mortgage and real estate tax. So I am effectively cushioned for 7 1/2 months.

I know I should start looking for work on Monday, but instead I find myself planning a holiday abroad. I am a regular on a popular travel forum and when I posted about this, telling them that I was thinking about going travelling, offers for a bed for the night and for free sightseeing tours started pouring in from several different corners of the world.

The outcome is that I find myself planning a month's trip to India, where I have two offers of accommodation. I have taken the first step by renewing my passport and ordering vaccinations. I keep worrying that this is just an attempt at displacement, to keep myself from sinking into a well of depression, and that I will regret it when the deed is done. On the other hand I have been wanting to go to India ever since I came back from my previous visit there, and now suddenly I have all this free time.

Once I get the new passport I stand before the big decision: do I take it to the Indian embassy for a visa and then use my Visa to reserve flights, or do I withdraw like a sensible girl and go job hunting?

Comments (19)