SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bob414_gw

Startup problems

bob414
14 years ago

I'm trying to help my Granddaughter with a problem that we have been unable to find a solution for.

Her computer is a Dell Dimension C-521, OS is Windows XP Media Edition, 1 Gig RAM, over 200 Gigs of free disk space. {{gwi:1488565}}.

The problem is that when she starts the computer and logs in to her user account windows opens with no icons or taskbar. She has had the computer about 3 years and the problem is recent. She can use Ctrl, Alt, Del and bring up the task manager. Explorer.exe is running. Occasionally she can log in and everything is OK, sometimes by logging into one of the other user accounts sometimes her own.

She is connected to the internet with Quest DSL. I mention this because googling found an instance of this problem being solved by removing Visual IP Insight, which is installed by some DSL providers, but the program is not on hers.

She saved all her data and made a fresh install of windows from the discs she made made when she first got the computer. The problem reoccurred. She ran the Dell Diagnostics which checks the computer pretty thoroughly and it found no problems. She restored the computer using the hidden partition on the hard drive and the problem reoccurred.

If anyone can offer a suggestion we would appreciate it.

Comments (10)