SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bbstx

GE Cafe double oven issues moved from KA or GE slide in

bbstx
9 years ago

The entire convo can be read starting with my post on Sept 15 at 14:57

Executive summary is this: I have a GE Cafe slide-in gas range with double gas ovens. I hate it and advised OP on that thread to avoid gas ovens. Others took issue with my advice. Their comments are cogent and very much worth reading.

Today, I checked my oven temp with a thermometer AND cooked bread to find the hot spots.

Bread test:

15 minutes at 350, which is actually only 320, on middle rack setting

UNDERSIDE FLIPPED OVER

Looks pretty uneven to me. What do you think?

Any ideas for how to use up 15 pieces of very well toasted (some might even say scorched) bread? :-)

JWVideo responded

Hmmmmm. This is the smaller top oven, right?
To me, that oven looks to be running way hot and with the top (broiler) burner running, too boot. If I put a slice of bread on the middle of a middle rack with my stove's gas oven at 320F for 15 minutes, the bread crisps up but does not really brown top or bottom. I'd say a service call is warranted.

Let me suggest you take this topic to its own separate thread, Your issue is far enough off the title topic of this thread that your question may be getting overlooked by others who might be able to help. Maybe from some who also have a double oven all-gas GE Cafe range.

As for the toast, maybe run them through a food processor and store the crumbs in a tightly sealed freezer bag. Or use them for croutons for onion soup or fish or chicken bouillabaisse with rouille or aioli topping. :>)

Following his excellent suggestion that I start a new thread, this thread was started.

Comments (12)

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County