SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
swimkin

Why would builder not want me to use another source for tile??

Zoe52
9 years ago

We are building a custom home.

I know my builder has been using a specific tile place for years, but I have hired a designer to help me with my new build. He knew it and thought she was only helping us out with colors and furniture placements. However, I did mention to him at one time that she has her own store with tile and other indoor materials like flooring tiles and granite and even interior stone.

In the meantime, I have had several meetings with her and have fallen in love with my selections of tile, glass accents, and indoor ledge stone that we selected with her help. She knew my tile allowance and has worked through it with us to help me to stay somewhat within our budget. Letting me know where I would go over (Marble and Stone for two downstairs baths) but also trying to go below the budget on upstairs baths and laundry room.

I send a letter to my builder about it and he is now freaking out. I understand he is concerned that the tile will not be available when he needs it or if one cracks and he would get it overnight from the other company. But we have not even begun to frame our home yet. I am finalizing my selections with our designer NOW and then she can order them before he needs them and be ready for him whenever he requires them.

He prefers we use his tile place instead so I drove over there today and went through some of the tiles that they had and spoke to one of their floor people. It turns out their prices are higher for the same marble I was looking at with my designer. She was able to get hers in bulk elsewhere. My designer also had nicer looking porcelain that was under our allowance for the upstairs baths. While this company had more selections, they did not look as nice as the tiles she had.

I asked the salesperson if I would get a discount on using them bc I was doing a whole house. They said no... what I see is what I pay except in some areas where I would have to pay an additional freight fee bc they would have to be shipped across the country. They also said I would make my selections and then they would tell me the bulk price of my selections. So they are not really taking into account my tile allowances.

In the meantime, I checked out all their glass tiles on display (they told me that was all they had) and they do not have any of the ones I found and fell in love with from my designer. She had even recently ordered some of the latest glass tiles from her distributer. The tile company tiles looked older to me.

Now I still plan on meeting with one of their designers at the tile store to see what she can do for me, but I am already upset that I won't be getting what I have planned from our designer. So my question is: does our builder get a kick back from this Tile company if we buy from them? And if it is not in our contract that we have to buy from his distributers, are we still obligated to do so?

If I like what she does better, I don't see what his problem would be if we get it to him well before the time he needs it. Can you figure it out?

Comments (18)