SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
remodelzombie_gw

Certainteed Optima Blow-In Insulation or JM Spider Spray In?

remodelzombie
13 years ago

I'm doing a complete renovation on my 3 story home in Lake Tahoe. I've narrowed it down between two insulation bids.

One option is using Certainteed Optima Blow-In Insulation on all exterior walls using a vapor barrier to give me R 23. Also using it on several interior walls with quiet rock to help with sound and he wants to use R30 unfaced batts on the between floor sound insulation. I have no attic, and for various reasons I have to use l.5" rigid insulation on my ceilings which only gives me R 9.

My other option is Johns Manville Spider Wall Spray on my exterior walls using visqueen vapor barrier. This is supposed to give R 22 but supposedly better with sound insulation on the interior walls. Same R-30 batt recommended on the between floor ceilings.

I'm leaning toward the Certainteed Optima Blow-In. Has anyone used either of these products and have any opinion one way or the other?

Comment (1)

• treborneil
    13 years ago

You might want to be careful with Spider. instead of just insulation, you're also introducing adheasive chemicals and moisture into your walls when you spray in Spider. Also, I hear that it is harder to rewire through spider if you ever need to do additional work down the road.
    Besides maximizing your energy savings with the greatest insulating power, don't take vapor barriers too lightly... Visqueen can trap moisture in your walls and cause BIG mold/mildew problems. If you're looking to do it right, you should look into smart vapor barriers.