SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mwrede

Appliances ordered - should I get extended warranties?

mwrede
13 years ago

Thanks to the wealth of info on this forum I finally pulled the trigger and ordered the appliances for our upcoming remodel.

So I am wondering if I should be getting extended warranties on some if not all of them. I did get square trade warranties on our laptop and tvs after reading the many positive reviews but I've not had to use them yet. We had a GE extended warranty on our appliances in the previous house and we did use it to get repairs on many of them (all different brands).

Here is the list of what we are getting and the cost of a squaretrade warranty for 3 or 5 years total (including the manufacturer's warranty period)- after coupons:

Liebherr freestanding refrigerator (factory 2nd due to minor cosmetic damage on sides) $100/$190

Elux icon designer speed oven $63/$120

Elux icon designer oven (previous model) $56/$105

Dacor millennia rangetop $63/$120

Kitchenaid kude70 dishwasher $56/$105

Also seriously considering ordering the Modern-aire pro hood insert - $49/$95

The Liebherr has a 2yr manufacturers warranty the rest 1 yr I think (Modernaire has 2yr on parts).

I recently learned that our amex card - that we used to buy the appliances - also offers an addtional yr of coverage either when the manufacturer's policy expires or when the extended warranty expires as long as the total warranty purchased does not exceed 5 yrs.

So what do you think? Do we need the extended warranty on some of these or are the warranty prices just low enough that I should just bite the bullet and get it for all of them for piece of mind?

Here are some potential issues I read about: freezer/ice maker issues on the Liebherr, issues with the electronic control panel on the elux ovens and the door hinges on the elux speed oven, I've read one complaint about the finish coming of the dacor rangetop grates and I can't recall any issues with the kitchenaid dishwasher or modernaire inserts.

Comment (1)