SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
oruboris

How did YOU shop for your mortgage?

oruboris
15 years ago

May seem like a silly question, but I've never had a mortgage before and I'm a little uncertain as to what I should be looking for, or how to move forward.

My construction loan goes away in 2 weeks, and I need to have the mortgage in place. I've applied via Lending Tree, only got one response. Don't know why, my credit is excellent, house appraises for over $1m, and I'm looking for just half that.

Should I fill out the online forms for Ditech, Chase, others?

The two banks I use are both small, and tell me that they send mortgages this size out to the secondary market. Seems to me I can approach some of those companies as easily as they can, and save some fees.

One of the bankers-- not the home loan expert, btw-- tells me that it's all pretty much equal: at a given credit rating, income and appraisal, you won't see more than an eighth of a point spread between companies. Does that seem true in your experience? How much difference does an eighth make in terms of payments?

Trying hard not to panic-- really don't want to have to ask for an extension on the loan-- would appreciate your input.

Comments (2)