SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jane__ny

Cannot copy/paste

jane__ny
10 years ago

Suddenly I can't do either. Is this a setting which might have been changed? I need to copy/paste but all are greyed out.

Thanks,
Jane

Comments (34)

• kudzu9
    10 years ago

It's not a setting. You need to provide more info. What exactly are you trying to do where you can't copy and paste? (I.e., What program? What web page? Is it not working at all regardless of what you are doing?)

This post was edited by kudzu9 on Thu, Aug 8, 13 at 12:56

• jane__ny
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sorry, XP desktop computer. Always worked suddenly I can't paste. I can copy, but paste is greyed out.

It works copying from Word or Notepad but not when I copy from my browser (FF).

Computer has had a lot of updates recently, thought it might be that.

Jane

• Related Discussions

Are these ready to be transplanted outside?????

Q

Comments (2)
    Sounds like they're ready to go to me. Being in zone 10 you shouldn't have to worry about frost. But just to be safe I'd leave em in pots till next spring, and then plant them outside as you wish. As far as posting pictures goes, you can get a free account with photobucket at www.photobucket.com and once you upload your photos to your new account. All you have to do is copy and paste the line under the photo you want to share that says "HTML Code" into your message box here and there you are. good luck with your plants and your pictures. John
    ...See More

Cant copy and paste

Q

Comments (2)
    I assume you are referring to folders with images in them. If this is the case 'thumbs' is created by the program you are using to catalogue them. This was the case for me when I tried using Picassa. Moving 'thumbs' would make the file unuseable in the new folder so simply copy and paste but leave the 'thumbs' file where it is.
    ...See More

¢ ℉ useful symbols may copy/paste

Q

Comments (4)
    25℉ yup, thanks tj
    ...See More

℉ °C useful symbols may copy/paste

Q

Comments (10)
    ☏ If my phone doesn't work, it makes me sad,☹, so I begin to pray, ♱, and if that doesn't help, I go to the doctor, ☤, then I look up symbols, ♳, play music, ♫, THEN, I'm ready for a good game of chess! ♘... Never heard of cabbage peas. Cabbage and peas both grow great down here, but not many people eat peas. I grow cabbage to make sauerkraut to help with my stomach problems. I'll have to research cabbage peas.
    ...See More
  • kudzu9
    10 years ago

In my experience, not all things can be copied and pasted from a browser page. Again, what are you specifically trying to do? It sounds like you are copying something in Firefox that you can't paste into some other program. Correct? What exactly are you trying to copy?

• jane__ny
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Simple things, like an address to paste in the address bar, a word from an email or a sentence to quote in a reply email - things I always did until recently. Nothing unusual.

• zep516
    10 years ago

Can you do a system restore to yesterday and see if that clears out the issue, a reboot you tried right?

• jane__ny
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes to rebooting. Haven't tried system restore. Had updates beside MS, Java, Adobe--Reader, Flash, Air, ITunes, quicktime, Shockwave, I'll try a restore and see what happens.

Thank you,
    Jane

• jane__ny
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I forgot, there was also upgrades to Zone Alarm, Avast.

Jane

• zep516
    10 years ago

Lets try the system restore first and see if that fixes it, not concerned about what up dated.

If system restore does not work, we will check to see it the clipboard Service is running / started.

Then run system file checker if needed.

Joe

• jane__ny
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you. Will I lose all those updates if I restore?

Jane

• zep516
    10 years ago

It's possible and if we do we will get them back, I would not leave you with an outdated machine, but we need to get copy an paste working. How could you live without it. We could check the service first to see it it's running, the clipboard service that is. Lets check it. Here's how:

Go to START , RUN, Type Services.msc. Look for clipboard and make sure its automatic, and enabled, and started. If it is started I would stop it an restart it.

Joe

• Richard (Vero Beach, Florida)
    10 years ago

If you don't mind, I'm just curious. If the problem is only occurring in Firefox, which version of Firefox is it? The reason I'm curious is that I'm wondering if it's the same problem reported here:

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/962451

and if so, would the problem go away if Firefox were allowed to update to version 23.0?

Of course that's assuming you're still on version 22.0, if not... please forgive the interruption.

• zep516
    10 years ago

Good find chuggerguy! I would have never thought to try a different browser for an issue as this.

Joe

• zep516
    10 years ago

deleted double post

This post was edited by zep516 on Fri, Aug 9, 13 at 0:33

• zep516
    10 years ago

Jane let us know how you're are doing here..

J

• jane__ny
    Original Author
    10 years ago

"If the problem is only occurring in Firefox, which version of Firefox is it? The reason I'm curious is that I'm wondering if it's the same problem reported here: "

Its back!!!

Hugs to you, chuggerguy!

It was FF. I updated and everything works. Who would have thought.

Jane

10 years ago

Good deal. Actually, I wouldn't have guessed either, I just stumbled on it. :)

• zep516
    10 years ago

Cool glad it's working, it's usually a windows registry issue where things get grayed out like that.....

• jane__ny
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I'll be on the computer tonight and give it a workout. I didn't know there was an update to FF, usually lets me know. I lost my Internet signal last night and couldn't try copying on IE. Just glad I tried the FF update before a restore.

Thanks again for the great help, and Chugger, you've found a new career!!

Jane

• zep516
    10 years ago

You can always undo a restore point, if you were unsatisfied with the results.

• emma
    10 years ago

Jane I check my settings every once in a while because sometimes it updates without my permission and I find the setting changed.

• marciasc
    10 years ago

Thank you!! Thank you!! I haven't been able to copy and paste in FF for a few months. Some sites worked and some didn't even though they all worked in c & p before.

When I went to IE on my laptop I had no problems trying to copy and paste.

Chuggerguy, I went to the site you mentioned and d/l FF 23.0 Beta and now I can copy and paste anywhere.....(hopefully it will continue)

Thanks Jane for asking this question and Chuggerguy for the answer. I know Zep is always ready to help anyone too so another thank you to you.

• DA_Mccoy
    10 years ago

FF23 Beta? There were 10 FF 23 beta releases. The FF23 Final release is available and should be installed.

Help>About Firefox>click on the radio button>reboot as directed.

DA

• marciasc
    10 years ago

Thanks DA. I did get the updates and I just checked for the version and I have 24.0. I hope that one is ok.

This post was edited by marciasc on Sat, Aug 10, 13 at 14:17

• DA_Mccoy
    10 years ago

FF24 is a beta with scheduled full release in September. There will most likely be other beta releases before then.

For the general users It is best to stay with the current full release; in this case FF23

DA

Here is a link that might be useful: Mozilla

This post was edited by damccoy on Sun, Aug 11, 13 at 12:29

• marciasc
    10 years ago

Thanks DA. I guess when I got the 23. updates, it changed it to 24. September will be here in a few weeks so I'll leave it as it is unless I have problems.

10 years ago

Truthfully, I never even think about updating Firefox.

Under "Tools ---> Options ---> Advanced --> Update" I set it to like this:

Otherwise I'm sure I would get behind. Personally, I always want the latest stable release.

• emma
    10 years ago

I was having a problem with script warnings and I figured it was something I had changed, but couldn't remember what. I finally go so frustrated I return FF to it's default settings. I then had to reset my preferences. It did solve my problem. Even though it is different from yours if might solve yours.

• marciasc
    10 years ago

Chuggerguy, I had mine set to "ask me" as I have had problems with Microsoft automatically updating me. I just went and changed the settings to do it automatically. Thanks!

• marciasc
    10 years ago

Emma, I did try that first and it didn't help. Thanks anyway!

• DA_Mccoy
    10 years ago

The only negative thing about automatic browser updates is if the release has a bug/flaw your either stuck with it or have to manually revert to a prior version while you wait for the final release of the correcting update. If you do the update manually or "ask me" you can spend a couple of minutes researching the update before installing.

Maybe its old school, but I have nothing configured to update/upgrade automatically other than my AVG which updates during the early morning hours.

DA

• marciasc
    10 years ago

Good point DA! I think I'll go back to the way I had it before. I get automatic updates from Avast but I think that is the only one.

Thanks!

• DA_Mccoy
    10 years ago

As always you are welcome. However, all in all it is your choice. Weigh the options and make an informed decision.

DA

• Elmer J Fudd
    10 years ago

Without spending a fair bit of time, even an advanced PC user is not usually able to distinguish between advisable and inadvisable updates. An intermediate or beginning level user may not even understand the issues addressed in a particular update, much less have knowledge to determine a thoughtful course of action.

Program update release decisions are made by people with the knowledge and understanding to know when changes should be pushed out. I leave those decisions to them and never give it another thought. Mistakes are made, yes, that's what the restore function is for. I rarely need to use it.

Yes, and others have said, to each his own decision. But in doing so, don't fool yourself into thinking that you know more about it than you do and that you're accomplishing anything. If you resist the update a dozen times and then tire of the message and give it the go-ahead, you've really accomplished nothing but to delay what might have been an important update.

• DA_Mccoy
    10 years ago

To make a determination is not rocket science. Google the update and review reliable sources for a few days. If there are any significant concerns it will be reported quickly. In the past updates have been quickly pulled due to reported concerns. An ounce of caution...............

DA