SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stolives

bathroom fiasco or easy fix?

stolives
16 years ago

We have spent the past year going through an addition and the only area of the addition that really ran amuk was the master bath. Our builder subbed the tile work in our new bath out. The problems began with the placement of the new master bath, half of it is in the old house and half in the addition and the not so even meeting ground between the two. The original tilers showed up late on a early spring, Friday afternoon to tile a bathroom floor and shower. There was no electricity hooked up in that part of the house yet, hence no light to work by. Needless to say the work was shoddy at best. They did nothing to level the floor and there was a six inch downward slope in the room. The shower was horrible also. We weren't able to reach our builder until the following Monday afternoon. He agreed that they had done a bad job and that it would be taken care of. The tilers came back a few weeks later and started to take the tiles off the shower walls. They spent a couple hours here, took the tiles off of one of the walls and I never saw them again. A month went by and finally my builder started gutting the work that had been done. It was a mess that made me wonder how it could be salvaged, but knowing he wasn't happy about the situation and not wanting to harp I kept my mouth shut and trusted he would do right by me. He levelled the floor and tiled that himself and it turned out great. He smoothed out the shower walls with some kind of compound and had a new set of tilers come in and finish that. Hindsight being 20/20, I should have questioned him about the compound he was using on the walls (I have a hunch it was plain old drywall compound), but I didn't. The shower was finished and my bathroom looked great. Now, 6 months later the grout on the shower walls is popping out. When they finished I asked my builder about sealing the grout and he told me to caulk the corner seams but sealing it wasn't necessary. That didn't seem right, but "he knows better than I do". What are your opinions about what I should do before it gets too much worse. I would rather handle a quick easy fix myself than have to track my builder down and go through the hassle of trying to get him to take care of it. But if it is something that was done horribly wrong and will cause big problems down the line I want and need to start the fight now. Give me your thoughts...Thanks

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!