SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
andrea345

Recipe Box Club

andrea345
14 years ago

I came into possession of my grandmother's recipe box recently. Going through all the hand-written notecards made an intimate connection between myself in 2009 and my grandmother, her mother, my mother, unknown friends of theirs and relatives, most of whom are probably dead.

It set me to thinking about what we're losing with the ability to have a printed copy of a recipe - that personal effort it takes to write something down. You have to really want to make the food, or share the food. So, I've decided to add to my grandmother's recipe box and to invite my friends to begin theirs.

To that end, I thought about starting a 'recipe box club'. The basic premise is to have a group of friends get together to eat a meal & share the recipe. If you like the recipe, you write it down & put it in your box. I'm working out the details and thought I'd post here to see if anyone had any suggestions.

I cleaned up my grandmother's recipe box yesterday. I've asked a friend to help me with the commercial stuff: the 17" long Pillsbury flour recipes from 1942, all the Bettery Crocker fold out recipes & menus as well as my mother's magazine clipouts from the 60s & 70s.

Anyways, some of the logistical problems I've thought about (without any experience at all behind them & only maybe 24 hours after the a-Ha! moment:

Should the meal have a common theme?

How many people can be seated at a table? I think this meeting will create a gathering "bigger than my breadbox" dining table (seats 6) or house. What other options are there for seating a large group of people? Church halls?

If we have to rent a church hall or something, we'll have to collect money first.

Plates, glasses, forks, knives (not so lucky there), etc. - how do we manage the table setting?

If we rent a hall, will there be a kitchen available? Do we even want to start with cooking

Clean - up

Anyways, the link below is from my blog. Pictures of the recipes in the recipe box (am scanning the hand-written work today)

Pictures from my grandmother's recipe box

I'm posting to see if anyone has any ideas about organizing something like this. I don't organize big events, so I don't have the experience. I just thought it would be fun and that this group might have the experience I could tap into.

Thanks for your consideration,

-a

Here is a link that might be useful: Some thoughts about the Recipe Box Club

Comments (8)