SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
zebo51

Bosch Dishwasher Feedback & Concerns

zebo51
15 years ago

In the process of upgrading my kitchen. I already have SS fridge, OTR micro and oven. Just need a dishwasher now. Like many others I have been searching and searching the internet looking for reviews/comments and whatever I can find. My OTR micro and oven are LG, fridge is Whirlpool. I first wanted an LG DW, but then after finding more bad things than good about them I have crossed it off my list. I'm looking for something that is completely SS out front. Controls can be inside or out. If it has a handle, it needs to look pretty close to the WP and LG ones I have.

First let me share what I have. I currently have a Black Kenmore Ultrawash 665 that came with the house. I know it is at least 6 yrs old as that is how long I have lived here. Knock on wood I have never had a serious issue with it. There was a point where it was making my silverware and dishes seems tarnished or filmy if that is a word. Cleaning with CLR would remove it. Finally found that if I put Glass Magic in the little open dispenser and cascade powder in the closed one it pretty much prevents it. I was just putting cascade powder in both the open and closed dispensers before. I am on city water but don't have a softener. I don't use a rinse aid either even though it has a dispenser. 99% of the time the contents come out clean, but I also always pre rinse in the sink before loading. Just a habit and never even tried full on dirty. I have never cleaned any filters., so it either has a food disposal in it or my garbage disposal takes care of it since it empties into it. I always run the normal cycle and use heat dry. Besides the top of coffee mugs and rims on plastic lids and containers, things get dry. In six years I can't recall anything falling down on the heating element. I have an open DR/LR/Kit so noise is a concern. This one is loud enough to me that I always use the delay start and run it during the night or start it as I walk out the door and know I will be gone at least a few hours. It has woken me up before at night, but that was from plates banging each other now and then. I don't need to sleep right next to it or talk on the phone. If I can great, it not no big deal as long as I can watch TV without cranking the volume. I am guessing that today though pretty much all of them would be quiet enough for me.

So this has led me to Bosch. My two big concerns are the drying and no food disposal.

The drying concern is with plastic/Tupperware. I have found lots of comments on this site as well as others saying good and bad. So those that own or have owned them please chime in. I would prefer to hear from people that own current models as I know how much and fast technology changes. Anything within the last couple years would work. I don't mind using a rinse aid such as jetdry etc. I don't mind the tops of mugs being wet or edges of plastic lids and containers that trap water as that is what I am use to. I did however run my current DW with heat dry off and all the plastic stuff was way wet and even after letting it sit all day with the door slightly open, things were still slightly wet and heavily spotted. I don't want to have to remember to prop open the door after each wash.

So with a Bosch and using jetdry or similar, will my plastic items come out dry and spotless? At least 95 % anyway. As mentioned above I know water gets trapped on top of mugs and in the rims of plastic lids and containers which I don't mind shaking off.

Next, food disposal. I see most say self cleaning filters. If those that put items in full on dirty, caked on etc, does it all just disintegrate and wash away? Or do you end up with chunks of food in the filters that you have to clean out after a dirty load?

I guess one last concern would be cycle times. What is the typical length of a normal wash cycle? I have seen comments on LG and a few others that says it takes a long time, like 2 hrs. I think my current one takes at least that long if not longer. I guess for me it is not really a huge issue since I usually set it to run when I am gone or sleeping. Are those that are complaining of ones taking a long time sitting there just waiting to put dishes away or do they have so many dishes to wash that they need to run it once, empty and load up again?

I want to try and stay right at $1000 or less, but we all know how that goes sometimes. :)

Others I am looking at are Kenmore Elite 1315/1317 or KA KUDK03CT/KUDA03CT/KUDK03FT.

Oh and those that comment on the Bosch units, please include the model.

Thanks and hopefully this forum can help me make up my mind.

Comments (13)