SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bestefar_gw

Viking Oven Broken Again

bestefar
16 years ago

We have a 10-year old all gas Viking range we purchased during a kitchen remodel. The oven has given us continuing problems. After some searching online, there appears to be well-know issues with Viking gas ovens, primarily with the igniters. We're on our second set and something isn't working once again. I found one post where someone who purchased a Viking in '97 was on his 3rd set, so I guess I shouldn't complain. He said Viking considered igniters like "batteries" that needed replacing every 2 - 5 years. This seems like REALLY poor design to me. I have a 15-year old gas furnace that has never had the igniters replaced. I called Viking to see if I could talk with a technical person about the problem, but was informed the only people allowed to speak to them were technicians. Our local service person put a 10" scratch in our brand newly refinished hardwood floor when he was here about a month ago and denied doing it, so I really don't want to call him back. Has anyone replaced the igniters in their Viking gas overn themselves? I'd like some help and suggestions about what to do about this. Viking would probably sell me the parts because I've ordered an oven light socket from them in the past. I also saw somewhere that there was another brand of igniter that would work. Sorry for the long post, but I'm about ready to buy another stove, as I've spent about $1000 on this stove in service while the refrigerator (GE Profile) and dishwasher (Asko) we bought at the same time have never required service. Any and all suggestions welcome.

Comments (26)