SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
too_picky

How can you deal with a GC you don't trust?

too_picky
16 years ago

I feel stuck between the proverbial rock and a hard place, and would really appreciate any advice or tips that you guys have for dealing with a rotten contractor. You can look at my previous posts on water damage and wet insulation to see the mess we're now in. It is being fixed, and I believe in the correct manner, but the much bigger issue is that our contractor has proven unwilling to do the right thing unless forced to by an inspector, holding back large amounts of money, and the threat of an attorney. I wish we could fire him and use someone else but that is not a very good choice. We are in a small enough town/region where if we fired the GC we would also lose all of the qualified subs in the area and watch our costs double when we tried to get further work done with a different GC. Beyond that I just found out today that the GC is in bed with the bank, and can only imagine the financial/legal mess that could ensue if we switch contractors. Sigh, it's ugly. So far the best solution we've come up with is to be onsite two to three times during the day (as much as we can manage with both of us working full time) to put everything possible in writing, and to use the inspector (who we think is quite reliable and on our side) for the rest of the project as a stick to try and force the GC to do things right. We have a lawyer lined up to use as a last resort if things aren't getting done in the right manner, but there are so many small details that can be covered up or overlooked, how can we manage this without completely loosing our sanity? I know I've heard that contractors are almost all a rotten bunch but is it usually this bad?

Comments (12)