SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kelhuck_gw

icf, sip, geothermal, overwhelmed!!!! help!

kelhuck
12 years ago

Hi everyone! I hope you all can help me reach some sort of clarity with all the decisions I am facing.

Nutshell: We will be building a 2500 sq ft farmhouse type, 2 story, with unfinished basement (to be finished later.) We want to do an energy efficient house but are on a tight budget.

We have 4 little kids and live in Indiana......tornadoes, extreme heat/humidity and cold/ice. We will have some woods to our east (house will face south), but the rest of the house will be open to the elements and we are on a hill.

We also are hoping to GC.

Having said all this, I need some help figuring out which "green" options are best for our family and location. I initially thought we would do ICF and geothermal with a pond loop (pond is not built yet.) But I've heard ICF and geo are overkill.

So then I thought maybe ICF and an SIP roof. But my area of the country doesn't boast a lot of workers skilled in green building techniques, so I'm a little afraid to forge ahead as our own GC, knowing that I will need to help teach the workers what to do.

We will probably use a whole house fan, no matter what. We had one when I was growing up, and I just loved the fresh breeze blowing thru the house in the spring and fall.

I realize that our location in the country will determine what is overkill, and what is necessary for reduced energy consumption. If any one has any insight/advice you can give me as to what combination would be best for us, I would be VERY appreciative!!

Comments (29)