SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bgmth

Update an 80's Master Bath

bgmth
15 years ago

Got a bid for my largish master bath area for tear out and total redo (but I had to haul the refuse away!) that came to $39K. Have a 5'x5'x 6'tall glass double shower with gold metal trim and 4" in tiles , 6 foot 22" deep whirlpool tub of cult. marble, cult marble 5 ft vanities (his and hers) and commode in its own room with regular wood door. Home was a never lived-in model and came this way. Ugly original walpaper on walls. Carpeted.

We want to update for resale. Have had multiple realtor opines. Take out tub, leave tub, put tile on floor, no leave carpet, nuke old shower, etc, etc. Home is 1 1/2 story about 2800 sq ft main floors. I want to make shower with opening on one side facing away from doorway, make tiled surround and put in some modern fixtures in shower, tub, sinks. Replace old chandelier over tub. Take off wallpaper and paint and that it is.

Questions: Do I need to do tile on floor? Heat it? Replace tub- with what or leave it? Put on new counter tops? Replace wood bases, too? How much do you spend so you can sell but get your money back? Or do you just leave it and give an allowance to the buyer?

Would appreciate feedback. This is in a suburb of Kansas City, MO, on the Kansas side.

Thanks

Comments (2)