SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
krikit_gw

System restore & software install

krikit
15 years ago

Hello

I'm not very computer literate, and my step-daughter is even less so I'm here looking for help. She has a Lenovo laptop with windows vista - we have comcast highspeed internet which supplies free mcafee antivirus - I don't actually know what happened, but I think she got one of those ad pop-ups when she was online, and it said something about her computer being at risk and click here blah blah blah - so she did - and I think she downloaded a trial version of an anti-virus called "Anti-virus 2008" or some such as that - anyway - it has her computer tied up and keeps wanting her to buy the antivirus so that it can remove a virus that is on her computer - sounds fishy to me - esp since it won't let you uninstall anything - if she has a virus, the computer store said it would cost $119 to remove - hopefully it doesn't and it's just some crazy download that has it tangled up - I'm thinking she could at least try running a system restore, and that would at least not hurt anything and might actually fix it - now ..... for the question - she and I recently bought MS office 2007 - she has installed to her computer, I have not yet - and the software says it can be installed on 3 computers - so that we don't lose one of those installations, do we need to uninstall MS office before we do the system restore? - is that how a software program tracks the number of installations you have? the reason I ask is I fear if she has to restore back to the original then she would lose the MS Office install and then we would need to re-install MS Office 2007 to her computer, and I'd rather NOT lose the ability to have 2 more installations. Hope this states my question clearly enough. Thanks in advance for any help.

Frances

Comments (3)