SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mjlb

Modular and Prefab Homes - General Inquiry

mjlb
11 years ago

Shakfu's post prompts me to ask for his/her observations about modular / prefabricated building.

On the one hand, I am amazed at how klugey home construction is, and on the other hand I am so impressed by the fine workmanship and creativity of some tradespeople. I wonder how best to combine modular construction with fine craftsmanship.

Whenever I've been involved with home construction, I've been amazed at how klugey home construction is. It certainly has made me think that assembling building components in a factory would be more efficient, produce a better product, and presumably be less expensive. And a factory would have quality control that would not depend upon the homeowner being continually present on the work site.

But I thoroughly believe that homes should be constructed to suit the site, which often means a custom home. Modular home sites say they can customize a plan, but what kind of parameters must a homeowner work within? And do the modular home builders give you the parameters so that you can do your own custom design, or must you endure lots of back and forth with their designers? Basically, what sorts of limitations must a custom design accommodate in order to build modular?

I've bought a couple of books on prefab homes, which show some very nice end product, but they don't address the design parameters at all. If anyone knows of good websites / books for discussing modular building or comparing modular home companies, I'd love to know about it. Thanks!

(GW has a manufactured home forum, but it's not very active).

Comments (4)