SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
scoutfinch72

Confused about prepping tub surround for tile

scoutfinch72
15 years ago

We just removed and replaced the old steel tub in our bathroom with a Sterling Ensemble 32x60 tub. The old tile was put up in 1955 with wire and mortar and has been completely removed to the studs leaving just about 2' of drywall up near the ceiling. The plan was to trim off the edge of the existing drywall and then use Hardibacker or Durock down to the tile flange on the tub. Then we'd install the tile and run the top course of tile to cover the transition from the Hardibacker to drywall.

When the new tub was being installed by dh and his uncle, who is a professional plumber, I was painting the LR. I didn't notice till after the plumber left that the tile flange is sitting up against the wall studs on both ends of the tub, but there is a gap of about 1/2' between the tile flange and the studs along the 60" side of the tub. Is that the way it should be so that the 1/2" Hardibacker sits flush with the flange, or should the flange actually be up against the wall studs? I forgot to take pics of the install before we left for the day.

Comments (3)