SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kate1234_gw

Is there such a thing as too much gas?

kate1234
16 years ago

My gas range doesn't cook properly and the repair guys are having trouble figuring out why since it looks like we have a big fat blue flame. In noodling around with what the problem might be I was considering the factor of the width of the pan and the diameter of the flame. Everybody knows if you put a four-inch wide pan on, you have to reduce the flame or else all of the heat will slide up the sides and not cook food from the bottom of the pan.

I wonder if this same principle is applying to my largest pans too. My largest pan is an All-Clad saute pan with straight sides - eleven inches across. I notice that even with this large pan, after I boil my hamburgers (yes boil, those suckers won't sear on this range), the vertical sides of the pan have a cooked-on coating of grease. As if flame had been applied directly to it.

Naturally to test this one would try turning down the flame. But then I end up with not enough oomph.

What I was wondering is - what would happen if too much gas was being delivered to the range? Or if the regulator on the range was broken? Could that cause these symptoms?

Comments (8)