SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jim8153

Modifying/Reviewing Stock Internet Architectural Drawings

jim8153
9 years ago

Hello Everyone,
I am currently building a new home in a suburb of Boston and am in the process of having the architectural drawings finalized. As background, I picked a stock drawing from an Internet shop (houseplans.com) and had an online draftsman modify them per my changed floor-plans. I know it was risky but several people on-line had good experiences with these stock plans and the total cost was about 3k as opposed to architects in the Boston area who wanted 20-30k.

Unfortunately after buying the plans I found out that the original plans do not have separate structural/foundation plans or framing plans but combined the structural info (foundation, beams, joists etc,) with each floor plan in summary form. (See attached basement plan below). Moreover I also discovered that the plans have a date of Oct 2000 on the front page, a copyright from 1988 and a signed date from the designer of 1986; which is an issue as I'm sure codes have changed over the last 25 years. So I guess you do get what you pay for but I think I'm still better off than going with a local architect.

My question is, who would be the best professional to hire to get these plans in buildable order.

I'm thinking the following would be required as a minimum.

1) review plans to make sure that everything is up to code and the structural integrity is still intact.
2) Modify the foundation to fit on a sloping site and incorporate a walkout basement.
3) Develop more detailed and separate structural plans
4) Develop more detailed and separate framing plans
5) Develop material takeoffs

How much should I expect to pay for this type of work?
Also what are your your thoughts on using a lumber yard's engineering staff. I noticed that National Lumber offers engineering services/engineering plans as well as material takeoffs. Is it safe to go with a lumber yard or am I better off spending the extra money for an independent engineer.

Thanks so much in advance for any help/advice you can provide

Jim

Comments (4)