SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
john02139

Home wireless network questions

john02139
16 years ago

Right now, I have an office computer, printer, scanner etc all located in my home office with internet connection via cable through a modem which they (ISP=Comcast) provided. Now I would like to add a second computer which I can use at various other locations in my apartment. It is my preference that this computer be a desktop on a rolling cart and not a portable and that it be networked wirelessly to my existing system. What I know is that I will need A router where the cable comes in and a NEC card in my new computer. Here are my questions---

1. New computer will be Vista and the existing is XP, any problems?
  2. Can I get the cable modem and router in one component and save renting the modem from the cable company?
  3. As a luxury, I am thinking of a wireless keyboard for the new computer that operates using a radio signel (2.4 GHz). Will this interfere with the operation of the wireless network?
  4. Is it safe to assume that my existing computer can still be hard wired (to the router I guess) for internet (no NEC required)?
  5. Will I have any problems file sharing, device sharing (all wired to existing computer) or setting up a remote desktop connection with my existing computer?

Thanks'

John

Comments (2)