SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
arthur_ogus

DCS Disasters

arthur_ogus
14 years ago

Since people are asking about experiences with DCS stoves, I guess I should post about my own. I've had my 36" range for five years or so, and have had no end of problems, When it works, it works very well---outstanding simmer, good high power, reasonably easy to clean, good and large oven, and a very nice grill, which I use all the time. But there have been countless repairs---I'm really glad I got an extended warranty, or I would be out over $1,000 by now.

Things that have had to be replaced (some are typical problems for all gas stoves some not):

1. ignitors: the ceramic can crack, causing a poor or nonexistent spark.

2. convection fan: stopped working, had to be replaced.

3. broiler ignition coil: stopped working, had to be replaced, along with the control.

4. central electronic control unit (the one that is responsible for reigniting a burner that blows out)

5. The most recent problem was the most disturbing. The rear left ignitor was unreliable, and the left front simmer was acting up---the flame would blow itself out and reignite. I was sure this was an easy problem to fix, and

would just require cleaning the orifice, but I didn't have a long and fine enough wire to do it. Since cleaning the rear ignitor with acetone wasn't doing a good enough job, and since I had the warrantee, I decided to call the professionals. Sure enough, fixing the simmer was easy with the right tools.

By the way, when this burner was disassembled, I could see why the simmer is so good: there is a completely separate orifice for the simmer burner, off the side. (However, the newer DCS's don't seem to have this anymore, as i saw when I went to look at the new models at the dealer). He had some trouble with the rear left ignitor however, and one thing he did was to take out the ignitor and clean the contact for the wire. But then when he reassembled it, the front left burner stopped igniting. He figured that the wire had come off that one when he worked on the rear one. Then he tried to disassemble the front left burner. This requires unscrewing a brass fitting which holds the burner assembly in place. It turned out to be impossible--it was frozen into the aluminum (?) fitting below it, which is held to the frame by a weak nut and some soft metal that easily breaks off. So the wrench simply turned the whole assembly, destroying the gas fittings and lots of other stuff. Since the whole top is sealed, there is not way to access the insides without removing the burner, which couldn't be removed because the fitting inside was frozen. The repairman says that this is not uncommon with the DCS stoves, because of this poor design. What he had to do was order a new burner assembly, then come back with a dremmel tool and cut the burner in half in order to get it out.

This guy and his partner seemed quite competent, and they were able to get replacement parts quickly. It didn't cost me anything, because of the extended warrantee, but I must say this is not what I was hoping for. Note that the front left burner is the one I use the most for wok cooking, and probably this contributed to the freezing up of the joint. (It is not a question of cleaning---the repairman said my stove and the burners were among the cleanest he had ever seen).

My dealer now carries Blue Star, which I probably would have bought when I made my original purchase if it had been available. I asked the repairman about them. He said they are much easier to repair than the DCS, but didn't seem so impressed. In fact he says the DCS has the best flame, when it works right. I took apart a Blue Star at the dealer, and wasn't so impressed with its build quality---machine screws where I think there should be bolts,

and the orifices are just holes in the metal, and I didn't see separate precision orifices and controls for simmer as in the DCS. The grill is a lot more primitive too. I'll probably hang on to the DCS until at least one more thing goes wrong with it.

Still, based on my experience, I can't really recommend a DCS any more, epecially since the newer ones don't seem to have the great simmer control.

Comments (9)