SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lynnalexandra

WinPatrol found this. Is it safe?

lynnalexandra
13 years ago

I downloaded WinPatrol when it was free - but, honestly, it just scares me. It's constantly popping up with things that I don't understand. Usually it's when I'm trying to do something I feel secure about so I allow it. But I'm tempted to disable or uninstall the program bc. if I never understand the alerts - and it supplies me with endless false positives which I learn to ignore (or allow), I'm not sure it's doing me any good. I wouldn't know a false positive from a real positive problem. Any advice on either getting rid of this program - or learning how to utilize it properly?

Specifically now, it's alerting me that the following new window services has been installed: McAfee Application Installer Cleanup:

C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\023586~1.EXE C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\McAfee\INSTAL~1\cleanup.ini -cleanup -nolog -service

I'm not sure why my computer would be trying to install anything from McAfee. I had the computer shut off for a few days while I was away. Upon reopening, I ran ccleaner. It finished. Then I installed updates from superantispyware. Then tried to open up Firefox. In the midst of that, this Scotty alert popped up. Is this part of ccleaner? Is it safe? I don't know what it is.

Thanks for any help.

Lynn.

Comments (12)